BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Baptist DEBATE Forums (Baptist Only) > General Baptist Discussions

General Baptist Discussions Baptist topics that don't fit in the forums below

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Old 08-04-2006, 10:34 AM
Banned

Default Assemblies of God vers Baptist

Can anyone with knowledge of both denominations, Assemblies of God and Baptist, can you tell me the difference between them?

I have a friend that is going to an AoG church and he has invited me a couple of times, and I don't see a difference. Their sermons seem groundsed in scripture, they beliefs seem simlar, except for the Gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Is the Assemblies of God just another branch that is similar to Baptist like a Methodist is?

Thanks for any help this this..

Jamie

Old 08-04-2006, 11:36 AM
Administrator

My noted differences is that AOG hold to tongues practices and preaching whereas Baptists don't, and Baptists hold to the once saved issues more.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:38 AM
3,000 Posts Club

I have also found a lot of similar doctrines. There are significant differences, however.

I far as I know, the AoG puts an unnecessary emphasis on the gifts of the Spirit, especially with speaking in tongues (estactic utterances) as the evidence or proof of the indwelling Holy Spirit. I find that to be an unbiblical doctrine.

There may be some AoG that lean toward Baptismal regeneration (probably some Baptists as well), but that would probably vary from church to church.

peace to you
Old 08-04-2006, 11:40 AM
3,000 Posts Club

Looks like SaggyWoman beat me to the "submit" button.

peace to you
Old 08-04-2006, 11:40 AM

I used to think the main difference was the AoG were the ones holding their hands in up the air. But now days, the distinction doesn't hold (at least not out in California, where we've undergone the charismania craze.)

Sorry, just the musings of a "throw-back" baptist
Old 08-04-2006, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaggyWoman
Baptists hold to the once saved issues more.
I have a friend who always mentions the "oh yeah, you baptists think you are saved forever", so I know that is a major difference. She fell away from church for a couple years and confided in my wife that if she would have died during that time, she would have gone to hell.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:55 AM
Administrator

A lot of worshippers raise their hands--this crosses a lot of denominations, not just AOG or Baptists.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:55 AM
10,000 Posts Club

I consider AOG believers to be brothers and sisters in Christ.

But, I could not belong to a church that teaches that speaking in tougues must occur to show indwelling of the HS. I think they also teach the 2nd blessing, which may the same thing. You have the HS when you believe, but then there is a "second blessing" when you are filled with the HS/and or speak in tongues. Can anyone clear that up?
Old 08-04-2006, 12:40 PM

I don't know if this is an official teaching of the Assemblies of God, but I've heard many from their number talk about "speaking things into your life," holding that beng made in God's image gives our words the creative power of God, and since our words have power in themselves, we should be careful what we say. That was exactly the way that doctrine was explained to me, nigh word-for-word, by an Assembly of God pastor, and it smacks way too much of witchcraft for my comfort, what with the power-in-our-words thing.

As for the charismatic gifts, there are Baptists who hold that they're still active, although most of them take a more conservative stance on the gifts than Charismatics do (I'm one of them!), and there are also Baptists, as I've seen on this board, who deny OSAS.

The "second blessing" is a baptism of the Holy Spirit thing, and it supposedly separates the super-spiritual echelon of believers from the regular (and extra crispy) believers.

That's what I've gathered from Assembly of God people I've talked to.

Michael
Old 08-04-2006, 12:42 PM
7,000 posts club

AoG doctrine is essentially a combination of pentecostal revivalism and Wesleyan Arminian theology inherited from the Holiness movement.

The major disagreements between the AoG and Baptists, historically, have been:

About election and the security of the believer. Based upon the AoG's Wesleyan theology, the AoG rejects (as do the Free Will and other general Baptists)

The continuation of certain spiritual gift signs (notably speaking in tongues) and the AoG doctrine of baptism in the Holy Spirit. AoG doctrine is that the believer receives the Holy Spirit at conversion, but the baptism in the Holy Spirit is a separate event. "This personal encounter with the Holy Spirit should be sought and cherished by every believer. With it comes a new and fuller dimension of spiritual understanding and a flow of spiritual gifts." Following Wesleyan theology, baptism in the Holy Spirit is the path to entire sanctification.

BTW, Baptists were often prominent in the early Pentecostal movement. Eudorus N. Bell, a former Southern Baptist preacher, was the first general chairman of the Assemblies of God, and another former Baptist, Arch Collins, was the second chairman.

Different AoG congregations, like Baptists, vary in their emphasis on distinctive beliefs. I'm sure there are a good number of AoG churches you could attend that would be virtually instinguishable from a Baptist service.