BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Christian DEBATE Forums (All Christians) > Other Christian Denominations

Other Christian Denominations Debate other denominations' doctrines/beliefs here.

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Old 09-08-2006, 09:09 AM

Default Did Adam and Eve go to heaven??

Did Adam and Eve go to heaven?? What happened to those who died in the old testament??
Old 09-08-2006, 12:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaliOrlando
Did Adam and Eve go to heaven?? What happened to those who died in the old testament??
No one went to heaven. All went to that other place that existed prior to Jesus opening the Gates of Heaven to all.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquiring Mind
No one went to heaven. All went to that other place that existed prior to Jesus opening the Gates of Heaven to all.
Was there hell back in the day?? or all that died went to a spot and then when Jesus came divided and put some in hell and some in heaven?
Old 09-08-2006, 03:57 PM
Banned

God doesn't change the rules for getting into Heaven. He only changes the rules for living in the covenant community on earth.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:39 AM

I've got one for you. Where does the Bible ever talk about someone going to heaven when he/she dies?
Old 09-09-2006, 07:57 AM
3,000 Posts Club

Tali about the OP(original post) that you posted...
I always thought that some were going to be with the Lord because the bible stories of Enoch (Gen 5:24) & Elijah (2Kings 2:11). And in the NT (Matt. 17) when Jesus was transfigured and the disciples wanted to build 3 pillars, because they thought they had seen Moses and Elijah with Jesus. There must have been something besides hell for those who did the will of God?

Link look in
2Kings 2:11
And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.
1Cor.15:34
Old 09-09-2006, 08:52 AM
1,000 Posts Club

Send a message via AIM to David Michael Harris

Lots of difficult things in the Bible, this is one of them. I do not think anyone goes to hell until judged! There seems to be a parking lot somewhere! Wish I knew the answer for sure. Jesus said that a day was coming when ' all that are in their graves will hear the voice of the Son of God.' Some will rise to blessedness others to condemnation.

Gosh, the Gospel is so important isn't it!

What think ye?
There is a great danger, when once we have adhered to one particular school of thought or adopted one particular system of theology, of reading the Bible in the light of that school or system and finding its distinctive features in what we read. The remedy for this is to bear resolutely in mind that our systems of doctrine must be based on biblical exegesis, not imposed upon it.
FF Bruce
Old 09-09-2006, 02:28 PM
10,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link
I've got one for you. Where does the Bible ever talk about someone going to heaven when he/she dies?
The Bible speaks of being with God or being with Christ for believers.

The OT is not as clear on this, but the NT is. And as Christians, we interpret the OT in light of the NT. Here are 2 statements about what happened to Enoch, one in the OT and one in the NT.

Quote:
Enoch walked with God; and he was not, for God took him. Gen 5.24

By faith Enoch was taken up so that he would not see death; AND HE WAS NOT FOUND BECAUSE GOD TOOK HIM UP; for he obtained the witness that before his being taken up he was pleasing to God. Heb 11.5

This goes against the idea, imo, of the teaching that there are 2 compartments in earth where the OT saints and OT lost waited until after Jesus ascended.

Paul said at least twice that to die was to be with Christ.

Revelation gives the picture of the saints with God after death.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:30 PM
10,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia
The Bible speaks of being with God or being with Christ for believers.

The OT is not as clear on this, but the NT is. And as Christians, we interpret the OT in light of the NT. Here are 2 statements about what happened to Enoch, one in the OT and one in the NT.

This goes against the idea, imo, of the teaching that there are 2 compartments in earth where the OT saints and OT lost waited until after Jesus ascended.

Revelation gives the picture of the saints with God after death.
Explain then what Paul means by the dead in Christ shall rise?

On the second day of Christ death, where did the souls come from?
Old 09-09-2006, 03:58 PM
9,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia
I have always leaned toward the belief that when Christians die, they go automatically to heaven. This belief was based on what I was taught and the teaching was always based on Paul's writings.

Then I read for myself.

I don't know what verses you are talking about, Marcia, and I am not saying that these are the verses in question, but here are a couple of Paul's writings that I believe have been misappropriated to the immediacy of going to heaven after death.

Philippians 1:21 "For me to live as Christ and to die is gain."

Paul is not talking about heaven. He is talking about Christ being magnified in his life, whether he lives or dies. However, I have heard sermons where this was applied to the afterlife.

2 Corinthians 5:6-9 "Therefore, we are always confident, knowing that, while we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord. (For we walk by faith and not by sight.) We are confident, I say and willing rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord. Wherefore, we labor that whether present or absent, we may be accepted by Him."

This is probably one of the most misquoted scriptures that I have ever heard. Everyone I know who claims this as a special verse always says is as if it were a proverb. "To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord."

Paul is saying that Christians would much rather be in heaven with our Father, but until that time comes, whether here or in heaven, we must live to please Him.

".....to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord." has an entirely different meaning than "To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord".

The above passage does not say anything about resting or sleeping after death, but Christians can't claim that we don't rest or sleep in Christ after death, based on this passage because that isn't what this passage is addressing.

I don't have the definitive answer not the definitive scripture.

Paul also said in 1 Thessolonians 4:13-17 that we should stop worrying about what has happened to our dead loved ones. He said that if they (or we) were saved that when Christ returns that the "dead in Christ shall rise" and we shall "meet them in the air".

I just can't put in all together in my mind that Christians die - then go to heaven - then come back and get in the grave again - and then rise to meet Christ whom they've supposedly already met.

As I said, I do not have the answer and am curious about this and enjoy reading what others believe on this issue.

If there are Christians who believe that we go to heaven immediately after death, I just don't want them to base it on the wrong interpretation of a scripture that doesn't apply.

I want them to base it on appropriate scripture.

I'm very interested in other replies.

As a woman, I'm not saying that I can do it all, have it all, be it all, nor know it all. My goodness, I don't even want it all. I'm not saying that I'm WonderWoman. All I am saying is that no one has ever seen me and WonderWoman in the same room.

Last edited by Scarlett O.; 09-09-2006 at 04:00 PM.