BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Baptist DEBATE Forums (Baptist Only) > Baptist Theology & Bible Study

Baptist Theology & Bible Study General discussion of Baptist theology

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Old 08-26-2012, 12:51 PM
5,000 Posts Club

Send a message via AIM to evangelist6589
Default Chuck Swindoll

I have listened to him a few times but have never read any of his books. He like David Jeremiah is a dispensationalist and probably will not be as popular among Reformed churches and groups. What do you think about him?
I am a slave of God and I serve as a street evangelist/open air street preacher. I have been through The Way of the Master basic training course twice. The WOTM evangelism philosophy is a great way to reach the lost. My life verse is Mark 16:15 which is the call to preach the gospel to all of creation (NIV). The best way is to use the Law to convict the consciences of sinners (Psa 19, Gal 3:24). The Law convicted Paul of sin (Rm 7:7, ESV). I challenge others to use it in their evangelism.

Last edited by evangelist6589; 08-26-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:25 PM
7,000 Posts Club

Great Bible expositor and Calvinistic at some levels, depending on how Calvinism is defined.

Yes, he's a premillennial dispensationationalist, but so is John MacArthur, who is somewhat popular with Reformed folks. I think Swindoll is largely unpopular with Reformed folks because of his association with DTS.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:55 PM
7,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCGreek View Post
Great Bible expositor and Calvinistic at some levels, depending on how Calvinism is defined.

Yes, he's a premillennial dispensationationalist, but so is John MacArthur, who is somewhat popular with Reformed folks. I think Swindoll is largely unpopular with Reformed folks because of his association with DTS.
I agree with this assessment. His book Grace Awakening literally changed my life. Some of my former associates would say "for the worst", but I would not go back for anything.
There is a difference between taking on the whole armor of God and encasing your mind and heart in concrete. Be open to the possibility that what you have held as doctrine for so long, may be incorrect. Should you be led to a change of heart and mind, repent.

My faith does not depend upon my having a perfect Bible translation, it depends upon having a perfect Savior to translate ME!
Old 08-26-2012, 05:54 PM
5,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCGreek View Post

Jeremiah talks about him a bit so I figured he was good. Jeremiah is also unpopular with Reformed and probably for the same reason.
I am a slave of God and I serve as a street evangelist/open air street preacher. I have been through The Way of the Master basic training course twice. The WOTM evangelism philosophy is a great way to reach the lost. My life verse is Mark 16:15 which is the call to preach the gospel to all of creation (NIV). The best way is to use the Law to convict the consciences of sinners (Psa 19, Gal 3:24). The Law convicted Paul of sin (Rm 7:7, ESV). I challenge others to use it in their evangelism.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:26 PM
7,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by evangelist6589 View Post
Jeremiah talks about him a bit so I figured he was good. Jeremiah is also unpopular with Reformed and probably for the same reason.
He's probably not as "unpopular" as you think. There's just so many "messiahs" out there that we have to be choosy.
There is a difference between taking on the whole armor of God and encasing your mind and heart in concrete. Be open to the possibility that what you have held as doctrine for so long, may be incorrect. Should you be led to a change of heart and mind, repent.

My faith does not depend upon my having a perfect Bible translation, it depends upon having a perfect Savior to translate ME!
Old 08-26-2012, 10:05 PM
3,000 Posts Club

Swindoll is on the radio where I live. I enjoy his broadcast.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:24 PM
5,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexdeaf View Post
He's probably not as "unpopular" as you think. There's just so many "messiahs" out there that we have to be choosy.
Many in the die hard Reformed circles that post on some FB groups I am on do not like David Jeremiah. However most of these are of the Paul Washer ilk, and he is Lordship to the core!! He sometimes judges people's salvation all by what he sees. He does not know if the people are false converts or just acting in the flesh and disobedient that will lose their rewards. However by what he said in one sermon he called everyone a false convert.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:35 AM
7,000 Posts Club

Jesus I know and Paul I know, but who is Paul Washer?

Seriously, I have more important things to do than worry about who is in whose "camp", what kind of evangelism methods they do and do not endorse, how they spend their money, and so on. Seems like gossip-mongering to do that to me.

Have a blessed day.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:44 AM
15,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Jesus I know and Paul I know, but who is Paul Washer?

Seriously, I have more important things to do than worry about who is in whose "camp", what kind of evangelism methods they do and do not endorse, how they spend their money, and so on. Seems like gossip-mongering to do that to me.

Have a blessed day.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:50 AM
7,000 Posts Club

Quote:
I agree with this assessment. His book Grace Awakening literally changed my life. Some of my former associates would say "for the worst", but I would not go back for anything.
Yes, Grace Awakening is a life-changer.