1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured ‘Largest’ Voter Fraud Probe Underway in North Texas'

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by carpro, Oct 22, 2016.

1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, the laws did not discriminate against minorities? Then why were they over turned?

You would guess wrong. The southern Democrats were just too powerful for the slaves to resist effectively. Those who did resist were often martyred, or at least maimed, for their efforts. You might want to study a little American history.

2. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Texas

On July 20, a federal appeals court ruled that Texas' voter ID law had a discriminatory impact on voters, and ordered a lower court to come up with a fix before elections in November.

It's "probably the strictest voter identification law in the country," as NPR's Pam Fessler puts it, and activists say it disproportionately impacts black and Hispanic voters.

The court agreed, although it stopped short of concluding that Texas purposefully set out to disenfranchise minority voters, as the Two-Way reported at the time:

"A district court had found not only that the law discriminated, but that it was intentionally designed to do so. The 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals saw some flaws in that conclusion and instructed the lower court to reconsider that element of the case and rule again — preferably after Election Day."

So this case — which has been ricocheting through the court system for years now — is far from over.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Show me where I said minorities are too stupid to know how to get an ID card.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

4. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Insinuate: to suggest or hint.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He did not say you said that. Maybe you should read the very quote you posted. He asked not said, he asked if you were insinuating. Not sure why that has to be explained. Usually when someone asks questions like that they are trying to be fair and get clarification before coming to a conclusion.

Further, anyone who thinks minorities or old people are dishenfranchised by voter id laws are in fact saying they are incompetent, to stupid, or just completely helpless. All of which should offend those people. Unless of course it is just a political tactic.

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only such laws I know that give one race protection and not another race would be those that favor blacks; such as Alabama's requirement of hiring blacks and whites in equal numbers for state trooper positions. Do you thnk law enforcement should hire based on race or on demonstrated abilities?

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh, no I think I lost it long ago.
    :Biggrin
    HankD

8. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Then you don't know much about the law.

Do you think white people in power should only hire other white folks?

Praise God that the whole world isn't as silly as some of you. There doesn't have to be a law on the books for the folks in power to discriminate in the hiring process.

Proof to point: being forced to hire in equal numbers because of discriminatory practices. But I guarantee there wasn't a law on the books that said we're only gonna hire white guys as state troopers.

The southern strategy is still at work. And just like at it's origins, some of y'all think the rest of the world is so dumb as to be fooled by the coded words or actions especially when the results are the same as Jim Crow.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

9. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Don't worry ITL. When he can't refute what you said, he has to try and change the narrative to make it look like you said something else.

10. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Name a law that gives whites certain priviliges and denies the same to blacks. I named one that does the opposite.

11. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

[Edit] Part of the southern strategy was that it wasn't supposed to be blatant but coded.

You don't have to have a law on the books that says I'm not gonna hire Blacks but only Whites if the folks doing the hiring are white and racially prejudiced or racist and ain't hiring Blacks. So it kinda makes your demand for a law giving certain privileges moot.

#71 Zaac, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2016
  12. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that's the same result as Jim crow laws, you say? What black person has recently been arrested for refusing to move to the back of the bus?

13. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Yep.

Don't be dense. You know full well that there was more to Jim Crow than where folks could/could not sit on a bus.

14. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed, more than that...but not less. And you still say the results are the same?

15. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

The results are to exercise a degree of power over someone else because they think skin color has given them that superior right.

It's the essence of the Jim Crow racism and the same thing which I spoke of going on today. There doesn't have to be a law on the books for there to be discriminatory practices.

As I said, there was no law saying that Alabama would only hire white state troopers. But there obviously was a practice of doing so by those in power to the point that somebody had to come along and say we're gonna do some else to address the systemic racist and racially discriminatory practice.

16. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [Edit]. Are the results of the "southern strategy" the same as the results of Jim crow?

#76 Alcott, Oct 26, 2016
  17. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

[Edit] Did you not read where I typed the essence of the racism is the same? What was used in the southern strategy is still being used today.

#77 Zaac, Oct 26, 2016
  18. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's not the question. Are the RESULTS the same?

#78 Alcott, Oct 26, 2016
  19. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I answered the question. You just don't like the way I answered.

Is there a difference in the racism?