1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

10 commandments ?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by donnA, Apr 26, 2008.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

I have been wondering, and pardon me if I have asked this, of it is has been discussed ebfore, and not meaning to start an argument.
    But in thinking about the law and the 10 commandments, I wondered why the 10 commandments are listed seperately from all the other laws?
    Was just thinking.

2. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Good question, Donna. I too would like to know why we traditionally uphold the Ten Commandments while we are expressly forbidden to observe any part of the Law?

3. JerryL

JerryL New Member

No part of the 10 commandments are for us unless they are naturally written on our hearts. We naturally know not to kill or steal. Luther had a lot to say about this topic. In the NT our commandments are summed in two. Love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and love thy neighbor as thyself. All the rest fall into these two.

#3 JerryL, Apr 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2008
  4. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

I interpret your question in a different way from the other respondents. I hear you to be asking why the Ten are given separate and higher status than the myriads of other items in the Law. I would answer that these are apodictic laws, meant as broad general principles, while the others are casuistic laws, intended as explications of these general principles. They are rather like outline headings, under which a lot of detail is eventually given.

5. JerryL

JerryL New Member

They are the moral part of the law right? I think it is the moral, judicial, and ceremonial. Exodus 20 is where God starts telling what the law is.

#5 JerryL, Apr 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2008
  6. donnA

donnA Active Member

Your right about the type of question I was asking.
    And thank you for your answer.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree with Joseph because when we see the rest of the laws that we would consider "moral" law, they go into more detail than, say "Thou shalt not murder".