1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 10 myths surrounding Calvinism

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by robustheologian, Feb 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Sanctification is a one time event(solely of God's doings in one's life) and also an ongoing, life-long process, which we are active in....progressive sanctification...

Sanctification isn't an either/or process of either a one time event or an ongoing process, but both....

2. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I fully agree. Even when Paul address the churches which are doing some pretty bad stuff, he still addresses them as brethren.

3. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no way Calvinism IS the gospel...let's take the book of Romans. It teaches most of what we call Calvinism. Yet the Romans were counted as saved before they received that doctrine. Even at the beginning of Paul's letter, he says that their faith is world renowned.

If Calvinism is the gospel that means no one heard the gospel until they received a letter from Paul. But of course this is not true.

4. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Paul was not the only Gospel preacher that preached in Rome ! If Paul said that he heard of their Faith, then they heard the Gospel, and since The Truths of Tulip are the Gospel they heard those Truths ! The Truths of the Gospel are always food to the Regenerate throughout their Christian life, the Gospel establishes them Rom 16:25 !

5. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent point.

6. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinism is the gospel in that it accurately explains/teaches the gospel. It contains the correct biblical teachings of anthropology (man), harmatology (sin), theology (God), christology (Christ), and soteriology (salvation). These truths existed somewhat obscurely in the Old Testament but were revealed more clearly in the New Testament. Spurgeon understood this when he said:

One of the things Calvinists need to beware of is apologizing for Calvinism. Such a thing is understandable in light of the blistering criticism directed towards Calvinism and Calvinists. But there is noting to apologize for. Calvinism is, indeed, the gospel. There is no shame in proclaiming that fact in the face of whatever criticism.

#86 Reformed, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
  7. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I may disagree on the exclusivity of Calvinism being the gospel, this is the most well rounded outline on the doctrines of Calvinism that I've seen on BB. None of that TULIP stuff. This has a systematic theological feel to it.

8. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please understand that I am not saying that if a Synergist preaches the gospel that they are preaching a gospel that cannot save. If they are preaching Christ crucified, buried, and risen; if they are preaching repentance from sin and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, then they are preaching the gospel. What I am saying, and what Spurgeon really meant, was that Calvinism is the most accurate understanding of the gospel (for the reasons I gave in my previous post).

9. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

:thumbsup::thumbs::thumbs::thumbsup:

10. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You guys kill me :laugh:

It isn't the gospel. It is the gospel. Well if you say it like that it's the gospel. Well, no, yes, maybe...

11. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well then I do agree with that. I would say Calvinism is the best understanding of the gospel.

12. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to learn how to read and to understand a theological discussion. Part of learning and understanding is for both sides to clarify, and often re-clarify, their position.

13. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're still misunderstanding...

Calvinism is the Gospel. But, the Gospel is not Calvinism.

The Archangel

14. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll have to quote this. :thumbs:

15. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ok, thanks for the lesson there. I thought that was what I was doing when I question a person's post and then they come back and respond clearing things up. :thumbsup:

So what then when after a back and forth discussion one still believes the Gospel is Calvinism, and one believes the Gospel is not Calvinism? Seeing how I have debated with many Calvinist who disagree with each other on this.

16. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As one of the mods have said: it is doubtful anyone will change their mind about what they are convicted about. The best way to move on is for (1) one to do their best to understand others views, (2) major on the majors, and (3) minor on the minors. :1_grouphug:

17. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yup; yes; agreed.

18. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent!

2 problem areas on these points seem to be that some in the calvinistic camp though have gone to Hyper levels, and as such, have taken on some of those points, and others have not taken the time to really examine what calvinism means in salvation, as many get it from sources anti calvinistic, or else misunderstand what is being really taught!

19. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    But wouldn't you agree the topics which have been hotly debated here have been MAJORS?

The threads I started were on direct quotes from Calvinist;

1) No belief in TULIP = No Sheep

2) One becomes a Calvinist the same way one becomes a Christian

3) God hates the non-elect

Are these not majors?

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was said that Loraine Boettner "gave us the five points of Calvinism in the form of the acronym TULIP." However, I have mentioned the fact several times in the past that Presbyterian minister Cleland Boyd McAfee holds that distinction. He delivered a lecture back in 1905 to the Presbyterian Union of Newark and used that mnemonic tool.

But the wordings all exisited long before his time. And he didn't use U for unconditional election. He called his category "universal sovereignty."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.