1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

12 apostles and The Great Commission

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by BillyShope, Jan 15, 2011.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I essentially agree with this as long as you don't excise repentance from salvation. The preacher may not use the word repentance, but the concept must be there: a change in fundamental thinking about sin, as evidenced by the conviction of the Holy Spirit.
    I agree with this as long as you stipulate that the faith was in the promises of the coming Messiah dating all the way back to the protoevangelium, and made more explicit in Isaiah 53. It was faith in the future of Israel as a nation that caused the Jews to reject the suffering Savior.
    I certainly agree with this.
    Well of course.
    I too am a dispensationalist. But that is not how your OP started. By now we're quite a ways away from the topic you gave in the OP.
    This is a very general post and I'm not sure how to answer it. You mention a total of 12 verses, and then the only comment you make is about Paul referring to his message as "my Gospel." Not only that, the places Paul referred to "my Gospel" are three completely different passages! Since I can't respond to your casual reference to three passages, since you don't explain them, I'll respond to the "my Gospel" comment.

In Rom. 2:16 Paul refers to "my Gospel" as the way God will judge "the secrets of men by Christ Jesus." Do you suggest that in Peter's Gospel God will judge the secrets of men by some other Savior than Christ?

In Rom. 16:25 it says, "Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ." Once again, did Peter fail to preach Jesus Christ?

In 2 Tim. 2:8 it says that "Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel." Did Paul's Gospel then differ from Peter's in that Peter did not preach the resurrection of Christ from the dead?

I have already shown that the Gospel Christ told the apostles to preach in Luke 24 was the same one that Paul defined in 1 Cor. 15. You have not dealt with that. I have asked you to prove how the Gospel changed from Peter's presentation in Acts 8 to Paul's in Acts 14. You have not done so. In order to be credible in your arguments, you really need to deal with these points. How was Peter's Gospel (preached all his life) different from Paul's? You give no hint.

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    While they may have used Jerusalem as their base, we do see Peter and others in Cesera, Samaria, and Philip and the Ethiopian Eunch.

3. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The dispensation of grace

The Gospel could probably be traced to before the foundation of the world--when the names were written in The Book of Life.

Adam and Eve knew about it--Gen 3:15. They taught it to Cain and Abel. Cain tried to change it. His progeny still try. Jesus is still the Lamb of God, slain from before the foundation of the world.

Noah found grace, while the rest of the world was destroyed.

The Lord said to preach it. He never said the world would be won to Christ--in fact, if it were possible, the very elect would be deceived.

We are reaping the consequences of easy believe, repeat after me salvation. Churches are being filled with the unbelieving--looking for entertainment and other emotional titillation--warm fuzzy feelings.

Even so, come Lord Jesus.

Selah,

Bro. James

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Will this book be available in US bookstores or US Christian bookstores ?
    thank you.

5. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with much of what you said.

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, John.

8. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    just ordered.

9. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You wouldn't happen to know of any book or reference about how the world was politically, spiritually, and so on, during Christ's and the first church's lifetime on earth, would you ?

Like, for example, at the time of Christ's birth, what was going on in the countries or continents outside of Israel ?

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't think of just one book right off hand. There have been a lot of books written about the Roman Empire at the time of Christ, of course. Plutarch's Lives of the Noble Romans gives some interesting non-Christian insights, and you can probably find it on the Internet.

Outside of the Roman Empire, not a whole lot was going on in the world. Most places in Asia, the people were not much more than primitive tribespeople. This was true in Japan, where they didn't even have a writing system until the 7th century. India and China were the exceptions.