1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

12 Steps for the Recovering Pharisee

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Dr. Bob, Apr 15, 2001.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For folks like me, who grew up in a strong ifb church, it was easy to lead a life with the mask of the pharisee.

~Judging Others and finding great pleasure in pointing out their failures

~Detesting Mercy being given to those, unlike me who don't deserve it

~Applying the Word to everyone else and using it to rebuke those who disagree with me

~Obtain Greatness by lowering every one else in comparison to me in my own mind

While written by one I would consider a New Evangelical (there I go, judging another - aren't I a good pharisee?) it is written by someone who lives where I live.

It will revitalize your view of Grace. We are actually planning to use this 12-step recovery program in our church for anyone who has been saved 10 years or longer. They need a different program than the new believer's training.

***** (5 stars) on the Grif.Net

2. yankeefan

yankeefan New Member

3. Pastor KevinR

Pastor KevinR New Member

Dr Bob, Thanks! I consider myself a recovering Pharisee as well, having grown up in an IFB church in the Bible-belt where at times we'd have special services, conferences, revivals, where it seems like it was calling evangelicals who were not Fundamentalist names! It seemed like "oneupmanship" was the order of the day, such as how short your hair is, do you use the real Bible, etc. This was back in the 1970's when I was a teenager.My present church is IFB, however we preach and teach standards, but w/ a balance.
    Growing up in church, your spiritual walk was determined by others by how they SAW you, etc.i.e., if you had hair on top of your ears, you were "worldly", etc...of course this does not negate the truth of 1 Cor 11:14, but it was used harshly and judgmental.

4. Timotheus

Timotheus New Member

I just got the book. Now I have to read it and find out what the fuss is all about. [​IMG]