1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

15-year-old girl jailed with 20 men

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by The Scribe, Nov 26, 2007.

1. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

15-year-old girl jailed with 20 men | NEWS.com.au

That's what everyone says, "She was eighteen." :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter how old she was. A female should never be jailed with men.

No kidding! :BangHead:

There's no excuse for this. Her and her family should be brought to the US.

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Why is this?

3. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

After all they have been through they should be brought here. Since this got out they might be killed over it. That's what I think anyway.

4. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

Brasil is still a prototype of 1920's+1970's America for the most part...racism, drugs/gangs, and sexism/promiscuity haven't been resolved at all over there....I feel there's a chance for God to heal that nation...but not enough Christians are stepping up to their calling to that place. C'mon, it's still only 15% or less of land mass that actually contains humans!

5. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

As horrible as what happened is, that doesn't mean they should come to America. They may not even want to. We are not the bail out for all the other nations who are messed up. Our judicial and penal system has plenty of its own problems, like men who get raped everyday and women who are raped by guards. In some women's prisons younger women are made slaves and servants to the older women even in sexual ways. So bringing them to America certainly is not justified and may not even be wanted.

6. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

I know these things go on here. But, I've never heard of a young girl being put in a cell with men in an American prison,

They may want to come here, but someone has to ask them.

It's sad that's the only thing you found upsetting in this thread. :(

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Wow, talk about an equal opportunity prison. They put all the inmates together. Looks like she was not the first but hopefully this notoriety will make her the last. I also hear the prisoners run the prisons down there and the authority is basically non-existent.

As for bringing her here, do we have room for every person mistreated in a foreign prison? Are we to be the answer for every injustice in any country? Are we sure we treat all our prisoners well enough to throw stones at others?

#7 LeBuick, Nov 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2007
  8. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

I hope she will be the last. I believe we can "throw" stones at them for this.

I never said every person should be brought here. I'd like to see her and her family brought here. I believe Jesus would show kindness to people in situations like this. We should try to be the good Samaritan every chance we get and not question it.

When Jesus walked the Earth He never stopped to think, "Should I help this person?"

Think about it.

9. UnchartedSpirit

switching on the devil's advocate side, but would't you want the return of a missionary who has been harmed or mistreated in another nation? would you want to stay in America if our government reverted to the corruption of these other nations?

10. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Anyone that is held hostage should be returned.

If America became even more corrupt than it is now, I'd go to Canada or some place neutral. Possibly France, Sweden, and so on.

11. UnchartedSpirit

so you would also accept the offer to be spontaneously taken to a safer place? or is your argument that "Earth's last hope" is no safer than this city of Brasil? If that's the case then the isn't a single society on earth that didn't mistreat young female 'prisioners...'

12. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Yes.

13. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I haven't heard of that either. But I have heard of everything I mentioned above, including the rape of women inmates by other women prisoners and by male guards. You don't have to be in a prison with men to be abused.

You could ask them, but if they wanted to come here, they probably would have already. What we should do is demand a change in their human rights policy.

Why would you think this was the only thing I found upsetting? Did you read what I said? In post #5, I said, "As horrible as what happened is..."

So clearly, I found the topic of the thread upsetting. I commented only on that with which I disagreed. I see no reason to bring the family here. If they want to come, let them come and apply for residency just like everyone else does.

I see a great call to call on Brazil (a country I have been to and love) to change their policies in this regard. We don't even know if this was an isolated incident or a standing policy. We need more than an emotional reaction to someone who was unjustly abused. We need to know more about the situation. And bringing them to America certainly won't help that much that I can see. Why do you think bringing to America is the right thing to do?

14. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

That wasn't your first response. They are a poor family that probably couldn't make it all the way to the boarder. Who knows why, it doesn't matter.

American prisons need to be looked at as well. But still, where's the article about an under-age girl in America in a cell with men?

To bring her and her family here would be the right thing to do.
    What would Jesus do? I believe He helped people out that needed it.
    You can't always look at your wallet to make decisions.

Maybe, by bringing them here it would wake them up and show the rest of the world America isn't as cold-hearted as they think we are.

I've emailed the article to Glenn Beck just incase he missed it. Hopefully he will bring this up on his show.
    Watch the show and see.

:praying:

15. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

But not because I had a different position. It was because it wasn't the subject of my comments. I agreed from the beginning that this girl was abused. I didn't need to state my agreement. You based your response to me on something I did not say, and assumed what you think I would have said. You were wrong.

Couldn't make it all the way to the border? Border of what? Even if they got to teh border, they couldn't get to America. Brazil doesn't border America.

Why would we need an article like that?

By what standard?

He did help people out that needed it, but he didn't help everyone out, and nothing he did suggests that we should bring a family to the US because the girl was mistreated in prison. There is no evidence that this is a common problem in Brazilian prisons, and even if it was, bringing this girl here won't change that.

I agree. This has nothing to do with my wallet.

I doubt it very seriously. The rest of the world doesn't think that America is cold-hearted. Some of them do, and bringing a family here won't change that. America has very open immigration policies. If this family wants to come, let them get in line and go through the process. I am all for that.

I don't know Glenn Beck and don't watch his show. I don't even know where I would see his show.

But please don't make assumptions about things I did not say.

You still didn't answer why bringing this girl here would be the right thign to do. You made some vague comment about "What would Jesus do" but didn't provide any argumentation from teh life of Jesus that he would bring this family to America. The only reason you did offer was so that the rest of the world would see that America isn't cold-hearted, which is 1) a selfish reason ("so that people will look at us differently), and 2) a flawed reason since it is doubtful it would change anyone's mind. If liberating millions from an oppressive dictator at great expense to ourselves didn't make them see us as less than cold-hearted, bringing a small family from a decently developed nation will not change that.

#15 Pastor Larry, Nov 26, 2007
  16. UnchartedSpirit

lonely planet mentioned that Brasil has the most terrible breuacracy in the world they HATE paperwork (more than the tree-huggers here do)! So it's virtually impossible for anyone to come GET them and take them to America (save going the 'traffing' method) ; much less themselves attempting to migrate away from Brasil....

17. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

It would have been better to just agree than to pick out one thing and question why I would want to help a poor family out who's daughter was raped multiple times and tortured.

Glenn Beck is on at 9pm every night on CNN.
    Glenn Beck Program

18. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I did agree with a large portion of the point. So what you say is "better" is what I started with. I simply decided not to say it since it would have been obvious. Who in the world would disagree that this girl was mistreated?

Furthermore I didn't question why you would want to help this poor family. I questioned the manner in which you want to help them. I think they should be helped. But helped by coming to America? I have yet to see any justification from you for that kind of help. I am willing to be convinced if you can make a reasonable argument for deporting them from their own country and bringing them to ours. I just don't see it yet.

I don't have CNN and I don't watch TV at 9 at night. I usually keep the TV off until at least 10, in order to make sure my other priorities are getting accomplished. I used to have the TV on all the time. Now I largely just keep it off to avoid the temptation to waste time watching nonsense. If I want to see something before 10, I record it and watch it later. That way I keep more control of my time.

#18 Pastor Larry, Nov 26, 2007
  19. readmore

readmore New Member

That should be "CNN Headline News". Glenn's show is definitely worth Tivo'ing--a lot of it I end up skipping through, but he's got an occasional nugget of good information. Radio show is the same story.