1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1st experiece with a prominant Word of Faith teacher

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Alive in Christ, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

A buddy and I found out that one of the ((MAJOR)) wof-ers (Rod Parsly) was going to have a service in our town tonight, and we just couldnt resist. We decided to go..(it was free) to see for ourselves what goes on, since you never know what might get edited out for TV.

At 1st the church band, and choir played and sang while the place filled up. They were VERY good. I was blessed abundantly.

Then the time came for Parsley.

1st of all, I was very surprised that the 1ST THING HE DID WAS to spend about a half hour SELLING stuff! Literally holding up several books and DVD's, like a carnival barker. and saying "This one is $12, but I will let YOU have it for $10, etc..

Couldnt believe it. And let me tell ya, this guy was born to sell stuff. He is GOOD. smooth as silk.(I guess I now know what gets edited out for tv):thumbs:

Ok. Then came time for the message.

He didnt hold anything back. Pure, undeluted, hard core "Name it claim it", get rich quick prosperity teaching. And including of course the most recent addition to the mix...the "seed..time..and harvest" scam. (think Mike Murdock)

And here is something else.

This guy gave what I think is the best copy Kenneth Copeland act I have ever seen. His delivery. His tone of voice. His inflections, etc.

Just like Jerry Savelle and Ken Copeland copied Ken Hagan, these guys have learned to "channel" Kenneth Copeland. But Parsley tonight had no shame. He has literally memorised some of Copelands ways of speaking and teaching word for word, and is shamelessly regurgitating them word for word. Unreal. I have seen Creflo Dollar do the same thing.

Maybe a small thing, but Parsely lied about where he was from. This meeting was here in Kentucky where I live and he said at one time that he was "born and raised" in the mountains of Eastern Ky. I checked on that, and his PARENTS were, but Parlsly was Born in Cleveland, and grew up in Ohio.

About the only good say about this guy is that he gave a perfectly acceptable invitation for salvation at the end.

#1 Alive in Christ, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2012
  2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That part about lying about where he was born and raised? I encourage you to write a letter to the editor of the newpapers around town, and make sure that gets out.

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

If I remember correctly, his parents were raised in Martin County(my home county for 35 years), in a place called Collins Creek, about 2 miles from Warfield, Ky.

4. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was ...

...best that you didn't attend, but had you never attended his meeting, you'd never know the awful truth about people like him.

I've been to Christian concerts where they spend 30 minutes advertising their albums and books, and it is so tacky.

My wife and I ministered in music for over 20 years, and I NEVER once sold my materials and goods. I had a table set up outside the church, or building, but never spent a minute telling the people about our tapes and books because it seemed a moot point, as everyone would see the things we brought when they left the church.

Some preachers were born to sell snake oil. While many were born to lift up Jesus. Thanks God you know the difference between the two.

BTW - the music of the WOF-ers is some of the best. It is lively and it draws the congregation into a spirit of praise and then worship. I can't find anything quite like it, but, I'll forgo the excitement of that portion of the service for sound teaching. It is a personal choice, and I choose Jesus above fluff and frills!