1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2 Tim 2:15

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by sister christian, Apr 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was already discussed that the Spanish Bible does not use merely "be diligent", but "procure with diligence".

Diccionario
    To study, ... v. n. Estudiar; trabajar; aplicarse; procurar; reflexionar.

2. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Procura con diligencia does is not the equivalent as study. Procurar means according to the official Spanish language dictionary El Diccionario Esencial de la Lengua Español:

For those that can not read Spanish that means to accomplish something with diligence or strength.

So my question still stands. And I await an answer. Is my RVR wrong for saying basically what the modern versions say?

I could go on to say that if Reina wanted to use the word for study he could have (estudiar).

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought we'd agreed that in 1611 "study" meant "strive" or "work diligently" if used in that context. But then thecontext in Timothy isn't as clear as it is in Thessalonians, I. E. "STUDY to be quiet".

Even though I don't read Spanish, I'd say the RVR reading is quite correct, given the definition of "spoudazo". The AV men simply used "study" according to one of its definitions in THEIR day, a definition not used NOW.

4. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Could it possibly be that God has His word to remain unusual to the natural man? Yes.

It's not solely the "Greek word", it's the use of that Greek word in context and the tense of that verb.:godisgood:

5. Salamander

Salamander New Member

OK, we'll continue to study on it, yall just keep being diligent!:laugh:

6. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Again, your modern thinking still confuses you.

Study requires diligence, but diligence doesn't require study.

You've misrepresented the use of the word, again.

7. Salamander

Salamander New Member

And still does and will always.

8. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I wonder which is more easily understood by today's reader: study, or diligence!:laugh:

9. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Yep, you must be tuned into the right wavelength.

10. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Are you trying to say that study doesn't require diligence???

11. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I believe you've left some one very special to Timothy out of his being instructed.

OK, there it is, the REAL problem; it's called "contemporary sense".

So you think that Paul instructed Timothy to be diligent without first study of the things he was to be diligent in?:laugh:

The more convolutions I read the more my stomach hurts from the laughter!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

12. Salamander

Salamander New Member

OK, from a Spanish standpoint, tell us how one goes about procuring something without first studying the approach, theorizing a concept to extract, then using precautionary measures, ( learned precautions from previous studies)?

13. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Why not answer the question? Is the RVR wrong in your opinion since it does not translate the word as study?

14. Salamander

Salamander New Member

In the area of studying to be quiet, it requires the diligence incorporating past experience,(using a concept most commonly known as "study") to know when to answer and when to keep one's mouth shut.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

15. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I cannot say it was "wrong", but that what you offered shows the Spanish to reveal diligence requires study.

You have no point, but a preconceived notion.

16. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

No; I think you have misunderstood my post if you ask that question. Timothy was admonished to "study" (in the sense of 'be diligent') all the things that Paul verbally taught him about doctrine and the office of pastor, which was predominately through Paul's verbal instruction. Paul's spoken theological instruction and explanation of pastorial duties were the foremost things in which Timothy needed to be diligent. You are implying that Timothy should first study (in the sense of reading, reflecting, or reseaching) the scriptures. But Timothy would have had precious little Christian writings at that time to study.

#76 franklinmonroe, Apr 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2008
  17. Askjo

Askjo New Member

The Spainish Bible, RVG said, "Estudia con diligencia para presentarte a Dios aprobado..."

18. standingfirminChrist

Interesting... Study is in the RVG.

19. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which edition of the Spanish Bible do you have?

The 1602 Spanish Valera had the following at 2 Timothy 2:15

"Procura con diligencia prefentarte a Dios approvodo ..."

A present-day edition of the Spanish Bible printed in Texas has the following at 2 Timothy 2:15

"Procura con diligencia presentarte a Dios aprobado ..."

A present-day edition of the Spanish Bible that reprints with permission the edition printed by the Trinitarian Bible Society of England has the following at 2 Timothy 2:15

"Procura con diligencia presentarte a Dios aprobado ..."

20. standingfirminChrist

Dr. Humberto Gomez Sr, a Bible-believing native Mexican, who has served as a Missionary to his own people for over 30 years, devoted 8 years of his life to revising the Spanish Bible, which eventually became known as the Reina Valera Gomez Bible (hereafter RVG). The RVG is a Spanish Bible of which all traces of the corrupt Alexandrian Texts have been removed. It is in total conformity to the Received Texts. And consequently it reads parallel with the KJV. But to Calvin George, this is not a good thing. To him, it’s a bad thing.
    However, despite Calvin George’s disapproval of the RVG, worldwide support for this Spanish Bible is growing on a daily basis. - From www.biblefortoday.org

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.