1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2011 NIV Translation of Mark 1:41

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Baptist4life, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Greektim, I think my Lord and Savior loves you and is keeping you for your inheritance of eternal life.

Since neither phrase, moved by compassion or moved by indignation, appear in the text in Matthew or Luke, trying to make them read the same is what corrupting copiests did in several other places.

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks, there is no dispute that a majority of sources for Mark 1:41 read moved with compassion rather than moved with indignation. Several reasons have been put forward attempting to justify why folks would be more likely to change moved with indignation to moved with compassion. The majority of modern translations agree that the best translation is "moved with compassion" but the other variant is often footnoted as possibly the corrrect text.

I agree with those scholars who think moved with indignation is the best reading, several of which have been referenced by Rippon.

I have often disparaged the NIV for what I believe are flawed translation choices, however in this case, I agree with them. No big deal, we all know Jesus was often moved with compassion and sometime moved with indignation.