1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 4 books no Christian can live without

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Jul 27, 2012.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

This is a totally unfair charge and allegation. The word of God is indeed all we need. If we study His word, sit under godly Bible centred teaching, and seek the guidance of the Holy Spirit we have all we need.

There are no 'fix all' human books. You were blessed by the four books you listed. That's great! I am an avid reader of Christian books, but from your list I have olny read Platt. I thought it was challenging, but would not call it a book every Christian cannot live without.

I would say 'Pilgrim's Progress'. 'Foxes Book of Martyrs', Ironside's 'Holiness - the False and the True'. and 'Robinson Crusoe' are books that would bless, encourage, and challenge those who would read them. But I certainly would not say they are books that 'No Christian can live without' them. I would really miss 'The Valley of Vision,' a collection of puritan prayers, if I did not have a copy of it.

It is arrogant and presumptuous to say that anyone cannot live without my list of books apart from the Bible.

#21 NaasPreacher (C4K), Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2012
  2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Many of these books can be gotten in the Kindle and you don't even need a Kindle to read them. I got Francis Chan's books for free, have a ton of Andrew Murray books for free and many others are either free or very low cost. Put them on a wish-list and watch for them to go on sale! :)

3. reformed_baptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed :D

A great text, and your point is? To be clear my post was more tongue in cheek then anything else. I guess the point I was trying to make gently is that there are many books that are very useful to the christain, but there is only one book every chjristain needs :D

Sadly individualism is not a lie, it is alive and well, however no Christain is an island that is certain and we do benefit from gifted men and their teaching - believe it or not I have quite an extensive library as well as my bible :D

Agreed, with a caveat. The church is united by the truth all within hold to, there is no basis of fellwoship where cardinal truths are denied even if we believe some within those bodies may be saved despite the error of the majority (thus speaks a man stung by the ecumenical movement in the past!)

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another one would be the Cross of Christ by John Stott!

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

the TRUE Church of Christ, the saved ones, are already united, for its the Lord jesus thru the Holy Spirit already united us... Up to us to realise that and be at peace with each other when at all possible!

For we ALL hold to a core ofessential doctrines as Christians, up to us to walk in love and agree to disagree in a charitable fashion!

6. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Thanks for the suggestions.
    I have just added “The Holy war” & “Foxes Book of Martyrs” & “Ironside's 'Holiness, the False and the True”, to my Kindle for no cost at all.

Am looking forward to reading them.

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I love that book - I found a 99 cent link but would love the free one if you can find the link again.

8. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Hi C4K

Here is the link....
    http://www.wholesomewords.org/etexts/ironside/holiness.pdf

This is a pdf version, but I sent it to Kindle(asking them to convert it for free), and within 2 or 3 minutes, I received it back in Kindle format.

Do me a favor and check this pdf version out. “Is this a complete version of this book?”
    I ask this because it is under 100 pages long.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

The book is quite short - it sounds right. That looks like the full thing.

It is by far my favourite book dealing with holiness and I am very sad it is out of print. Thanks for the find.

I will probably pay the 99 cents because I don't really like reading pdfs on the Kindle.

#29 NaasPreacher (C4K), Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2012
  10. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Another Great Book....

One of the Authors I referred to in my original post was F.J.Huegel. He wrote a book by the name of "Bone Of His Bone" which is now out of print in it's original form. It can be read in it's entirety on-line at the following link:

F. J. Huegel:Bone of His Bone.Table of Contents (flag To Your Favs file)

This book was a tremendous blessing to me in my early Christian life and I try to re-read it every so often.I have a print copy of it that was published by Zondervan which I obtained in the late 70's which is the same as the above on-live version. I know it is out there in an updated format by another publisher but it just didn't have the same feeling or power to it from what I read of it in the new version.

Greg

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say:

The Bible

The Pilgrim's Progress

Strong's Concordance

The Institutes of the Christian Religion

12. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is true to an extent. However God has given the church teachers for a reason, do you not believe in the book of Ephesians? Do you go to church? Why? The pastor preaching is like a book, and in some cases a sermon turns into a book.

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I must have misunderstood you, my bad. Yes the one book every christian needs is the Bible. I have a pile of 16 books on my desk, and this is not including the many I have on my bookshelf. I chatted with someone today whom told me that my career books are not good enough and she let me borrow her 438 page book on Interviews. Yes looking at the pages its 10 times more exhaustive on interviews than What Color is your Parachute, or 48 days to the work you love. Then she recommended some more books for me to buy! I would love to do so, but I am on a book budget of up to 3 a month and I have already met that mark.

14. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

You've put a qualifier on the Bible! The Bible is the ONLY book we NEED to guide our lives. Period. Everything else is based on our wants.

Are "church teachers" writing all those books you have piled on your desk and in your bookcase? Are all those books based on sermons given by God-called pastors?

Yes, I go to church to worship our Lord and to hear my pastor preach the word of God from the Bible. He has never come to the pulpit carrying any one of the "motivational" books that are under discussion. I've never heard him preach a sermon on how to climb the corporate ladder of success using man-made tips and tricks of the trade.

It's sad that you haven't come to the realization, yet, that time spent in studing piles of "Golden Parachute" books would be better spent with the word of God. That the money you are spending every month would better serve our Lord by paying your debts, as He directs us to do.

Perhaps, one day, with the help of the Holy Spirit you'll understand what this oldtimer has been trying to say. Putting your trust in the Lord instead of the latest best selling "self" success focused how-to author.

15. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sage advice, Oldtimer.

16. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

Andrew Murray is awesome

17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Except that this oldtimer misunderstands me and takes me out of context way too often.

SOME of the books on my desk are as follows

The Five Love Languages
    The Harbinger
    Standing Strong
    Radical
    The Battle for the Beginning
    Be Decisive-Commentary on Jeremiah
    Turning toward Joy-Commentary on Philippians
    The Gay Gospel
    Seven Reasons why we can trust the Bible
    Deliver us from evil
    Angels
    The king is coming

These are all commentaries, theology, apologetics, christian living, and bible prophecy books. None are self-help. I am sorry if I am not communicating correctly sometimes.

John

#37 evangelist6589, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2012
  18. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Gay Gospel?

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You. Just know that was thrown in to insight controvercy right?!? Consider the word "Gay" as happy...not queer.:smilewinkgrin:

20. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

I would have to go with...

Romans

Galatians

Ephesians

Hebrews