1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

42 Generations?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew begins with . .
    14 generations from Abraham to David
    14 generations from David to captivity
    14 generations from captivity to Jesus Christ

We know of the dates with great accuracy
    2100 BCE to 1010 BCE
    1010 BCE to 586 BCE
    586 BCE to 4/7 BCE

Are these accurate geneologies? Had a student (I'm preparing for teaching "Chronology of the OT" next semester) who said something just didn't "add up" here.

Thoughts?

2. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

The genealogy is abbreviated to show purpose not necessarily an unbroken chain of descent. Notice that Jeconiah is in both the last generation prior to the captivity, and the first generation following the captivity. I believe the reason for the genealogy is to reveal God's purpose in history. First the early history leading to David (type of Christ the "son of David"), then the history of the monarchy leading to the captivity (type of our captivity in sin), and finally the history of post-exile Israel leading to the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ, the culmination of Israel's historical purpose and the fulfillment of the type.

3. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

In Hebrew numbers are signified by letters. If I remember correctly, the 3 letters in David's name add up to 14.