1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

50 Most Influential Christians in America

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Rufus_1611, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

I would agree...that it is the "Fifty most visible religious figures in America"

Some, I admire what they've done for God.
    Others, I have serious problems with their theology.
    Still others...don't know.

I'm not about to venture into the "saved or not?" arena...that's not my place here IMO.

I'm sure most all of 'em are influential. What I don't know is...to what degree can (or does) God use those who have serious theological flaws (i.e., prosperity-gospel proponents) to accomplish His work?

3. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I must say I didn't see a single person that I agreed with theologically. In some ways the list pains me because it illustrates the vapidity of popular christianity. It also tells me that people are still looking for a role to play in salvation rather than trusting God to handle things.

4. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Lots and lots of TV preachers, FundieCons, and a guy who makes cartoons.

5. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Alright, since you are making up words that haven't even been defined in the urbandictionary will you please define what a "fundicon" is? If you are saying that there are fundamentalists in that list, will you point out who you believe them to be as the very minimal fundamentalist representation is what jumps out at me.

6. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Fundamentalist Conservatives.

Jimmy Dobson, W, etc.

7. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

James Dobson is an evangelical. W is a Universalist at best. Who do you have for your "etc."?

8. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

FundieCons have co-opted the title "Evangelical" to mean about the same thing, so that one stands. Bush is a Fundie when being a Fundie serves his interests.

On that vein:

Paul Crouch and his boy qualify.

John Piper is conservative, but since he's Reformed he gets awesomeness points and is exempt.

Luis Palau is superconservative, but since he does more evangelism in a week than others do in a year, he is exempt.

Chuck Colson. Self-explanatory.

Andy Stanley. See above.

Mohler. Southern Baptist.

Richard Land. See above and below.

Jay Sekulow. Suprconservative and political about it.

John Hagee. Self-explanatory - or as he would say, "explanatoreh."

George Barna. Good work, but still.

Jerry Falwell. I mean, seriously. Jerry Falwell.

Brownback. God is a white, male, American Conservative.

Frank Page. Southern Baptist.

9. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

All great men and women. One of, I'm sure, many that were missed is Tony Evans, who is an inspiration to me. He's an exhorter.

10. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Ummm...fundamentalists were here before evangelicals so how do FundieCons co-opt the newer name? Taking someone who is an admitted evangelical, psychologist and labeling him a fundamentalist is just inaccurate.

Could you provide me a quote where Bush claims to be a fundamentalist Christian? So long as he thinks Muslims have the same God as Christians, he's not a fundamentalist and he's hardly a Christian for that matter.

Charismatic Crouches as fundamentalists?

Piper is a new evangelical ecumenist and, since he loves your pope no wonder he gets "awesomeness points".

Palau is an evangelical.

Colson is an evangelical.

I don't know this guy.

No argument.

Evangelical.

Evangelical.

Evangelical.

Evangelical.

Once upon a time.

Evangelical.

Not sure about him.

I get the impression that "FundiCon" is just a word you like to use against people you don't like and it is curious that you vociferously defend Catholics and rail against your "fundicon" brethren.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not a SINGLE person?!?

12. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Rufus, could you define the differences of those different terms in laymen's terms? I am just trying to see how you define them as well. Thanks.

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Ya' think mebbe that "'Beauty' is in the eye of the beholder!", or something like that?

Or not??

:tongue3: :BangHead: :laugh:

Ed

14. Dustin

Dustin New Member

What a sorry list.

James Kennedy and John MacArthur are the only two I've ever heard with any regularity. Still I don't agree with every single thing they teach. Al Mohler is sound, but I've never heard or read much from him. Piper is a bit of a stretch, he's a Charismatic, no?

The top ten list (with the possible exception of John Piper) makes me want to vomit. :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

On the other hand, they did a really great job of covering up Joel Osteen's horns. Microsoft paint? Good stylist? Some type of mirror trick?

What a sad, sad list. God help us.

Soli Deo Gloria,
    Dustin

15. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Oh yeah! And it's a year-to-year rating, as well.

Remember ol' what-his-name who was on the list two years ago, or ol' who's-his-face from three or four years ago?

Seriously, I would suggest that three who definitely should be on the list, because of indirect influence, include the heads of the two largest seminaries in the world, Paige Patterson of SWBTS and Richard Mouw of Fuller, and Steve Douglass, President of Campus Crusade.

And one certainly cannot discount the influence of writers such as Rick Warren, Max Lucado, John MacArthur, Bill Hybels, and James Dobson, all on the list, simply because of the number of books they sell, and the influence from them.

Whether or not I agree 100% with any or all of any of these is another matter, entirely.

Ed

#15 EdSutton, Jan 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2007
  16. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Piper is a reformed Baptist. I think you'd like him.

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

Well, I hate these rankings.

The computers are always wrong. And Osteen had to play in a tougher conference than Dobson. No one kept in mind Franklin Graham's strength of schedule. And how 'bout that preacher from Boise State? That "trick invitation" at the end of his sermon was AWESOME! He should've gotten a vote.

Doggone it. My bad. I thought this was the BCS thread. :tongue3: :wavey:

18. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

rbell wins the Internet.

19. Dustin

Dustin New Member

I knew he was a Calvinist, didn't know he was Reformed Baptist. I always thought he was more of a charismatic for some reason.

20. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

The most influential Christians have the ear of God at any time . . . they are known by the Holy Spirit . . . and they will be found in prayer.

The thought that humans could choose those whom have God's ear is ludicrous.