59 yr old Man to Play College Football

Discussion in 'Sports' started by PastorSBC1303, Aug 23, 2007.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Is this guy an inspiration or just plain crazy? :laugh:

Story

2. robycop3

robycop3
    Expand Collapse

I am 59 YOA, and would hafta think long & hard about playing college ball. I was not the worst HS player of the mid-60s, earning several all-star honors at FB & LB, but that was 41 years ago. I'd hafta work out strenuously for at least a year to develop the strength to be competitive, and I never had much speed to begin with. And at only 240 lb, I'm far too small to be a lineman.

No, unless I was strictly a kicker, I'd be kidding myself if I thought I could even make a college team, let alone get any playing time!

Besides that, I played semipro for 11 seasons(Talk about the underbelly of "pro" sports!) & am therefore ineligible.

3. Salty

Salty
    Expand Collapse
    20,000 Posts Club

Several months ago I was watching a synaticated sports show. It featured a 70 something year old man, who went back to college and joined the football team. He was finally allowed (if I remember correctly) to play in the final game of the season.

Can somebody help me find the link?

Salty

4. Alcott

Alcott
    Expand Collapse

I don't think I can respect this-- didn't Rodney Daingerfield do something like this in a movie once?

5. webdog

webdog
    Expand Collapse

To me it's inspirational. I've been going through my mid life crisis, and was considering playing again next year at 36. If he's 59 and can do it, that will really motivate me. I last played semi pro ball in 1994 and 'retired' from the game at 22 due to tearing up my knee on the last play of the season diving for a 2 point conversion. I missed the playoffs.