1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

8 Traits of Teens Who Abstain From Sex

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Ps104_33, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

"High school abstinence is associated with better physical and mental health across socioeconomic groups, no matter how much you torture the statistics. Teens themselves will tell you that they have stayed away from sexual intercourse because of their own fear of pregnancy (which new data suggest is on the rise, with teen births up in 26 states) and sexually transmitted diseases, not because they're weird or antisex. And there is plenty of evidence that being able to make an abstinence decision is linked to less depression and suicidal thinking............"

But maybe it's more. The researchers identified eight personality and behavioral traits that were associated with both abstinence and academic achievement—traits that to some extent may be inborn but can also be taught and reinforced regularly at home and at school:

1. Future orientation, with a focus on long-term goals
    2. Willingness to postpone current pleasures for larger future rewards
    3. Perseverance, as in the ability to stick to a task or commitment
    4. A belief that current behavior can positively affect the future
    5. Impulse control, including ability to control emotions and desires
    6. Resistance to peer influence
    7. Respect for parental and social values
    8. Sense of self-worth and personal dignity

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/heart-to-heart/2009/1/7/8-traits-of-teens-who-abstain-from-sex.html

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen! It's always better to obey :thumbsup: .

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Having worked with this age group for well over 2 decades, I would concur with this assessment.

I would also say that these are the very reasons why adults get themselves in trouble.

Whether it be a dependency on substances that one cannot "shake" such as alcohol, food, cigarettes, certain over the counter medications or an inability to master their finances, marriages, children's behaviors, job requirements or personal habits, part of the reason that adults get into such messes is found in your list.

That's not the whole reason, but it's a large part for many people.

We, as adults, tend to live in the moment and thrive on immediate pleasure and postponed responsibility.

We are just about to completely lose our impulse control and ability to stick with anything - relationships, jobs, marriages, church, God...

Your list is one we could all work on...teenagers, adults, and even children.

4. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I read recently that teens who make a promise to abstain until marriage usually don't and are just as likely to get into sex before marriage as teens who don't make that promise. It seems that peer pressure is stronger than many teens' desire to keep a promise or to keep themselves virgin until marriage.

5. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Teens who choose to abstain choose to do so within themselves rather than on a peice of paper.

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I'm not necessarily certain about any of the above responses, as I did not read all of them carefully, but I'm absolutely sure of one thing.

Abstention is 100% effective in the prevention of teen age parents for starters. :thumbsup:

Ed

7. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I doubt it is peer pressure. I imagine hormones & a freshly created & raging libido have a lot to do with it.

8. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Sounds to me like 'Planned Parenthood' propaganda. Abstinence cuts into their profit margins.

9. Spinach

Spinach New Member

I think that how we parent them makes all the difference. Yes, sex is interesting to a teen, but a teen with a great relationship with the parents is less likely to seek out something that is lacking in his/her life, imo and ime.

10. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Jon-Marc,

The problem with that report is that it assumes that other means of sex education are automatically effective. The key is in the comparison.

Abstinence education will effect 4% of participants. Other sex education methods will effect 6% of participants. That is essentially a tie. So while, it could be argued that such programs are not effective in changing the majority of teenagers, Abstinence is just as effective as any other program.

Certainly, there is more to sex and the spiritual development of teenagers, but these results are really all one can get from that report.

I apologize that I don't have the source here to list. I just read this in World Magazine (i think) yesterday.

11. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Peer pressure has caused a lot of teens to do what they didn't want to do in order to be accepted--sex, smoking, drinking, drugs. If they are told that they won't have any friends if they don't do those things, then most of them will do them.

Peer pressure almost worked on me when I was 13. I was with my 16-year-old brother and two other boys his age when he said, "If you want to have friends, you'll have to smoke like they do." In my ignorance and weakness I took a cigarette from him and let him light it. I took one puff off it, tossed it on the ground and mashed it out. Then I said, "I don't need friends that bad." The stench and foul taste overpowered my desire to be accepted. However, not all teens are that strong willed. Their desire to be accepted and popular is much stronger than their desire to do right.

12. Salamander

Salamander New Member

One can have the heart of their children and educate them by example: one's own experiences and pointing out other people's expeinces. This "shows" them a good picture of reality.

A tenderness coupled with straight-forwardness has kept my 19 and 16 yearolds virgins with two younger siblings following close behind them.

Teaching them realtiy demolishes all influences of peer pressure!

I agree witht the "8"!!!:thumbsup:

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

Congratulations on raising your kids well. May God grant them the strength to keep their vows...until the vows. :thumbsup:

14. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I can't beleive the civilality of this! But thanks!

15. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I'll give you smoking and some other behaviors. But I never knew anyone who had sex due to peer pressure. It was usually because of their libido. And of course, those who bragged about it were those who weren't doing it. THAT is probably peer pressure at work.

16. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

One of the age old lies used by horny boys to get it from their girlfriend is to say, "If you love me, you will. Besides, everyone else is doing it." One used on boys is embarrassing him into it by claiming that he is the only boy in his school who is still a virgin, and that works also. Plus, other boys are bragging (not always truthfully) about all the girls they've had, and they shame other boys into sex before they're ready. No teen wants to feel like they're different and not be accepted. I'm not so old that I don't remember what it's like not to have any friends as a teen because of not doing the things they do and expect you to do in order to be accepted by them. Peer pressure DOES force teens to have sex in order to be like all the other teen boys who claim to sexually active. Being called "gay" is a big incentive for boys to have sex to prove others wrong. I was called that by my dad because I wasn't having sex. That's why I married the wrong person--to prove him wrong.

17. Salamander

Salamander New Member

kinda explicit language there?