1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

95 Theses Against Dispensationalism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Reformer, Sep 24, 2008.

1. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Personally I think we are making too much of the statement. It is like using the rhetoric that Arminianism renders an image of God as impotent. Would any Arminian suggest such a thing? Of course not. Nor would a dispensationalist suggest Christ will be humilated in the manner I think some are taking it. Christ's first coming was a time of humilation, if the term is understood correctly. He did humble Himself.

What I think the quote means is that Christ is not coming again to be in a position of humility. He is not coming again riding on a donkey. He is coming again in great power and glory.

RB

2. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

RB:

As an Arminian and Dispensationalist, I kind of understand the reaction of PNG. No Dispensationalist would disagree that Christ' return will be in glory. How it unfolds and how He accomplishes His purpose is a different subject.

These "theses" are perjorative in their language, and purposefully mislead or distort what Dispensationalists believe. Don't you agree?

JDale

3. IFB Mole

IFB Mole New Member

JDale

You actually ADMIT that you're an "Arminian Dispensationalist" WOW, you have guts to admit to such modernistic and man contrived doctrine.

4. ReformedBaptist

Of course I don't agree. How can I love those brethren and assume malice in their intent of refuting dispensationalism? Nor do I think their comments are pejorative in the sense that it intending to belittle or disparage people. I think it is their honest assessment of dispensationalism with the intent of refuting an error they believe is destructive the truth of Scripture. Those intentions are noble. If they do have pernicious intent in their rhetoric it must be proved. However, if that is the case, it will manifest itself in due time.

RB

5. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

:laugh:

That's okay IFB Mole. I've been called worse than that by men (and women) obviously better than you.

I have been saved since September 28, 1980. I have spent over 21 years in ministry, and more than that in the study of Scripture, to glean from it the Truth God would teach me. I admit that I have not arrived. But I am hardly a slouch, either.

Your characterization of my beliefs as "modernistic" and "man contrived doctrine" demonstrates that you know NOTHING about me, and that you are reacting out of ignorance rather than reason, legalism rather than love, self-righteousness rather than humility.

In short, "Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand" (Romans 14:4).

Your approach in attempting to debate is not in the Spirit of Christ. Please, if you are a "Brother," refrain from such unnecessary attacks.

JDale

#25 JDale, Sep 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2008
  6. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I am, of course, disappointed in your assessment RB. So much for Christian Charity. I suppose any language is justified so long as it is done in defense of the vaunted theology of Reformed Calvinism.

JDale

#26 JDale, Sep 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2008
  7. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Jews must receive Christ their King by faith, right? If so, their salvation is conditioned on faith, just like ours. So the covenant blessings are received on the condition of faith. Hence, the Abrahamic covenant was conditional. True?

8. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Are you saying that only Moses and the OT and trib saints are on earth during the millinium? Where is the Church?

9. greek geek

greek geek New Member

I have no desire to defend or critique dispensationalism. I do however attend a well known dispensational school - Dallas Theological Seminary. I would not label myself a dispensationalist - although I do understand (at least pretty well) the view. But I also understand, and can appreciate the oppopsing views. I see the pluses and the minuses of both sides.

That being said I am appalled at the website. Yes there are problems with dispensationalism. But in just a quick glance at some of the "95 thesis" I was amazed at how it presented the "facts."

Mostly i was amazed at the lack of citation. If you truly disagree with dispensationalism fine - but give actual citation. Some of the things listed as dispensational views I have never heard before, and there is no way for me to verify where this person got their information. They sometimes mention Ryrie or Walvord in parenthesis - but that is not adequate citation. Do you realize how much those two men alone have written?

If you disagree with someone do your homework. And if you are going to cite your "findings" for others give sources for everything - especially if you are claiming they are wrong. Otherwise it looks like you are only spouting opinion and/or basing your opinion on misinformation.

The lack of citation shows me that I cannot trust this site.

Oh - and there are many claims on that site that I know my professors would completely deny. There are different types of dispensationalism. And several of those listed on the site may have been held by the "old school" dispensationalists" but are in no way endorsed by any dispensationalist I know.

10. ReformedBaptist

By your own assessment, you have joined their ranks. Again, I do not see malice in their rhetoric.

RB

11. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

The participation of individual Jews in the Covenant was conditioned upon faith. That God chose national Israel thru which to redeem the world by sending His Son was unconditional. There is a distinction between individual Jews and National Israel with regard to God's plan.

JDale

12. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I don't know what SP is saying, so I can't defend it. I can say that the Church will accompany Christ in His return to earth (Revelation 19:11-16) and once He has defeated Antichrist at Armageddon, He will commence His earthly Kingdom, in which WE [the Church] will reign and rule with Him (Revelation 5:10), as will those who were killed during the Tribulation for their testimony for Christ and refusal to follow Antichrist (Revelation 20:4). These will already be in their glorfied bodies, reigning and ruling with Christ.

Jesus' "capital" will be the City of David, Jerusalem (Zechariah 14:8-11; Psalm 102:16,21; 110:25), from which the whole world will be ruled by Him, and to which all living on the earth will come to worship (Isaiah 2:1-4). By use of the phrase "House of Jacob" here in Isaiah, and clearly in other passages (Romans 11:25-27), Israel, the National, Chosen people will be the preeminent nation on earth, and the "remnant" of individual Jews in the "last days" will be saved, and will recognize Jesus as their Messiah and redeemer.

That the nations will come to worship Him in Jerusalem also clearly demonstrates that there will be those redeemed peoples who survive the Tribulation, and enter the Millennium in their natural bodies. They will enjoy a creation from which the curse will have been lifted, where they will procreate, and in which animals and humans will co-exist peacefully, and where there is abundance and blessing. Yet, personal faith will still be required -- and even then many in natural bodies will refuse to repent and believe, because we are told in Revelation 20:7ff that there will be one final rebellion before Satan and all who follow him are cast into the Lake of Fire eternally.

As to the OT Saints and Moses, there is a difference of opinion among Dispensationalists -- though I personally believe that since they are "with the Lord" as the Church will be, they will reign with Him as will the Church, in a glorified state.

Hope that clarifies how Dispensationalists see this subject in general.

JDale

13. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

My point to RB exactly in an earlier post GG. Thank you -- I agree totally.

JDale

14. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Joined whose ranks RB?

If by this you mean "Reformed" theology, I was using that term in the manner Calvinists always use it -- exclusively of themselves. And it is generally Calvinists (and by extension Covenantalists) who display the kind of vitriol I find on this "95 Theses" site.

Reformation Arminians (and Disoensationalists) in theological circles have generally been drowned out by the multitudes of Calvinists screaming "heretic," "Pelagian," "Papist," and the like for generations.

One who cannot see the malice in this site is either willfully blind to it, or sadly discerning in the Biblical meaning of Christian charity.

JDale

#34 JDale, Sep 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2008
  15. skypair

skypair Active Member

Yes! Here's the reasons:

1) They have never believed on Christ but scripture says "every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord." The OT saints do it in the MK, the lost at the GWT.

2) This is where they get "born again" -- as in John 3 "ye MUST be born again." "Born again to the OT/trib saints is to be resurrected by the Spirit into the kingdom of Christ.

3) The Abrahamic, Davidic, and Palestinian Covenants demand it! Israel is yet to receive a "land," reign in a kingdom, and experience the blessings (they will have already received the cursings) of Deut 30.

skypair

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

The millennial reign is really confusing to me. According to pre-mil/pre-trib, the millennium occurs just after the 7 year tribulation in which God has poured out His wrath and most of the earth is a vast wasteland of death and destruction. At this point, He returns to this terrible scene, with the ressurected saints and there begins a literal 1000 year reign with ressurected saints (in eternal bodies) and the living survivors (in their curruptible bodies) of the tribulation. This is the way that I understand it and it really doesn't make sense to me.

17. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

It doesn't make sense, Amy, for the resurrected, glorified Lord Jesus to walk through locked doors and ask the disciples to touch the nailprints in His hand and thrust their hands into His side either. This would be akin to the mystery and bewilderment one might feel at the idea of glorified saints reigning with Christ on the earth with those in mortal bodies still present. Yet, this is the picture painted by the Scriptures.

A clarification -- it is an error to say that the OT Saints will not be "saved" or "born again" until the Millennium. Scripture demonstrates that they certainly believed during their lives, looking forward to the ultimate redemption God would provide (Hebrews 11). Scripture also indicates that Jesus descended to the "lower parts of the earth" and "preached" to the spirits "in prison" (Ephesians 4:7-10; I Peter 3:18,19), with apparently successful results among these Old Testament Saints, who after His death on the Cross were rasied and walked in Jerusalem (Matthew 27:50-53)!

The fulfillment to Israel in the Kingdom Age will be to the remnant of the Jewish people who recognize Christ as their Messiah, and in whose nation Jesus will set up His throne. Of course, the resurrected OT Saints will rejoice in this fulfillment of the Abrahamic, Davidic and Palestinian Covenants, and in the rightful restoration of the "land" to Israel -- but their is also a greater spiritual dimension to the fulfillment of the Covenants, in which ALL of God's redeemed people from every era will participate and rejoice.

JDale

18. ReformedBaptist

You accuse them of malice, yet one can see a similar rhetoric in your own reply about them. And again here, characterizing Calvinists as "screaming" and "vitriol" which is to characterize your brethren with extreme bitterness.

Then you end your rant with an either/or fallacy.

I have not read all 95 of the theses statements. Did they personally attack anyone, or did they deal with the doctrine? Here you have personally attacked.

19. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are some parallels between the judgements during the tribulation and the judgements on Egypt (and Pharo) in Exodus.

20. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is one of the key problems with the whole debate. Many things are claimed that the other side believes or teaches, but not enough statements "straight from the horses mouth."

There is way too much of people claiming the other side believes a certain way, with no direct quotes to back them up. If the website in the OP is the one that I am thinking, it does that way too much, at least in some key areas.