1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Different Teen problem

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Scott J, Nov 21, 2005.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

paidagogos:

You are absolutely right. When I was quite young my dad would hand me things in a store and tell me to put them in my pocket. I refused because I knew it was stealing. Every time I refused I noticed he would not put it in his pocket.

To this very day even thought he has not become a Christian and he does not like it that I am he has named me as the executor of his will. He told me the reason he named me as the executor of the will is because he trusst me and believes I will be fair to the rest of the family when he dies.

2. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Aaron, in language that you can understand, this is pure HOGWASH! If you have personally seen this scenario 13,000 times, it averages to one (1) per day for over thirty-five (35) years. It is not reasonable to believe that even a very busy youth pastor or counselor would see this situation that many times. Therefore, I challenge your expertise as supported by your figure of 13,000 such experiences. Back it up. I think you are puffing smoke here as with the 99.9% reliability.

Furthermore, you have taken deep offense when I opposed your viewpoint. Your response seems more toward defending your prediction than dealing with ideas and principles. In other words, it’s a personal vendetta. You have come back at me with a personal vengeance: (1) “Do you have some kind of personal stake in this situation?” (2) “Go nit-pick somewhere else. We're not impressed, neither intimidated by your specialized jargon. :yawn:” In all this, you are not rationally addressing the issue but you are attempting to make points by taking cheap shots at your opponent. Since I have no feelings of insecurity, there is no way these things touch me but they do give me plenty of ammo to point out the weaknesses of your argument. In other words, you didn’t lay a glove on me but I can show by your response how impoverished your argument is. As for my specialized jargon, there was none. I only used word common to my vocabulary. I really wasn’t trying to impress you but it seems that you were in spite of your denials.

BTW, Aaron, I’m backing out of this with you since I have no time to waste in a personal flame war. This was simply a gentle rebuke. I’ll simply ignore any personally derogatory posts but I will respond to posts of substance and reason.

3. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Update:

The girl pretty closely followed our advice. My wife also "happened" to run into the mom at a basketball game and talked to her at length.

The mom made several excuses for the girl not being a church... mostly blaming it on the dad. She then allowed the girl to come back to church. Part of the issue was that they had spent over $100 outfitting her to hunt. Both the girl and the mom acknowledged this point of contention without prompting.

All in all, I think it was an important test for her. She is in a position to balance obedience to her parents and to God.

In a day when many 15 year olds avoid church even when their parents press them to go... it is a great blessing to have a young girl who comes on her own in spite of obstacles.

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

You really are a hoot! I've seen the SUN UP(or at least daylight) everyday of my life. But I can only remember back to when I was about five years old, so I said I've actually seen it up over 13,000 times.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Can I reasonably predict that the sun will come up today?

If the Lord tarries, yes.

Yet my standard of certainty is still unattainable with controlled standards.

But it's reasonable.

I’ll simply ignore any personally derogatory posts but I will respond to posts of substance and reason.

Too bad you had such a bad start. [​IMG]

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scott,

Glad this had a happy ending. [​IMG]

6. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

[snip]

You really are a hoot! I've seen the SUN UP(or at least daylight) everyday of my life. But I can only remember back to when I was about five years old, so I said I've actually seen it up over 13,000 times.

[snip]

Can I reasonably predict that the sun will come up today?

If the Lord tarries, yes.

Yet my standard of certainty is still unattainable with controlled standards.

But it's reasonable.

I’ll simply ignore any personally derogatory posts but I will respond to posts of substance and reason.

Too bad you had such a bad start. [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Oh, you're talking about the sun rising, not 13,000 situations like the aforementioned! Well, your antecedent wasn't clear or I missed it--either way I won't make excuses.

I assume you never lived within the Artic Circle. Well, if you go and winter with the Inupiat (i.e. Inuit), you may find your reasonable prediction fails. [​IMG] Limited by our experience. :D

7. standingfirminChrist

Scott J,

Tough situation to face. My advice is not going to be exactly liked by many, but I am not here for a popularity contest.

While the Bible does tell us the child is to honor the parents that the child's days may be long on this earth, we also know through Peter's dsicourse in the fifth chapter of Acts that, 'We ought to obey God rather than man'.

We have a responsibility to obey those in authority as Paul wrote in Romans, but if man's laws and regulations try to override God's authority, man's laws should be discarded.

The Bible teaches us not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together as the manner of some be.

8. standingfirminChrist

What I would advise at this point is to pray. God is a rewarder of those that diligently seek Him.

God's Word will not return void, so I would say stand on His Word and His promise that He is able to keep that which that precious child committed unto Him.

Pray for these parents. God can do great and mighty things which man cannot comprehend. Who knows? One day the parents may start attending your fellowship.