1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Dumbed-Down Version ?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's popular among some ( many? ) proponents of the more formally-eqivalent versions to denigrate translations such as the NLTse . They categorize it with paraphrases which we all know can't be any good . Pejorative labels are attached such as dumbed-down .

Well , I'm here to straighten you all out on this one . The NLTse is not its distant relative -- the Living Translation . You know , around the early 70's the LT had the tell-tale green bindings ?

The NLTse is a legitimate translation . It is not a paraphrase . And the scholars who worked on it were top-notch .

Just because it is more functionally-equivalent than the NASBU , ESV , and NKJ does not mean it does not carry around some considerable weight of its own .

The Revised English Bible is in the same F-E range as the NLTse but it uses some highfalutin words at times . It's not a dumbed-down version . And I'm here to tell you varmits ( Sorry , I'm in a Festus-like mood ) that the NLTse has its share of bigger words . It's not to be confused with the NIrV ( which I love also ) . So you best be puttin' on your specs and take a gander at a few NLTse words I found recently when I was in a look-see type of mood . Oh I know the words are easier than the ones Bill Buckley uses . They are understandable -- but they will disabuse anyone with a fair mindset that this version is for young kiddies . But there will be some of you who will tell me their 7 year old niece could not only spell all of these words but give the meaning also . Well , more power to her . But the average preteen wouldn't know them .

In no particular order :

obliterate , siege , notorious , charioteers , hordes , extortion , forfeited , gloat , pestilence , brandished ,desecration , exquiste , perverse , anguished , distressed , scurry , banished , forging , winnowing , groundless , simpletons , abolish , plundered , carasses , promiscuous , temperment , consoling , flogged , commemorate , appease , slaughtered , concubine , flagrant , propositioned , scrawny , scrutinized , embalm , billowed , devious , rampant , stench , retorted , scorching , procession , withered , defiance , consume , haughty , tormented , consecrate , awl , expertise , flanked , indulged , revelry , notorious .

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I often consult the NLTse, and I gladly commend it to others. :thumbs:

3. Armchair Scholar

Armchair Scholar New Member

I sometimes use the NLT in Bible study with the NKJV and KJV.

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SOME folx confuse "dumbed down" with "modern".

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Consider it done ;)

6. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Actually, the green covers from the 70s was not the LT, but The Living Bible, itself a paraphrase. The LT was a later version, and an actual translation IIRC.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm waiting on my NLTse to arrive any day. I'm really looking forward to it, as I liked the NLT '96.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're right MP . I posted that carelessly .

9. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I purchased an inexpensive NTL today after checking out the books at Borders.
    (a striking leather-like red cover with a black stripe).

It's just a little too small a print for my everyday use

And I broke my rule not to purchase a "red-letter edition' :laugh:

But the price was right.

Rob

10. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Nah, I'm just so old I remember stuff from a long time ago! :wavey: