1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A few questions for Baptists

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by DanPC, Dec 29, 2002.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It worked very well as we see in Acts 17:11 "They studied the scriptures DAILY to SEE if those things (spoken by the Apostle Paul)Were SO".

Even without the complete text of the NT available - they were ALREADY practicing "Sola Scriptura" to "check out" Apostolic teaching and were declared to be "MORE Noble" for doing so.

Gal 1:6-11 Paul says that even ANGELS and fellow Apostles were to be "Accursed" if they brought in "a different Gospel".

Paul stated that the Gospel was "preached to Yo just as it was to them (Israel in the wilderness)" in Heb 4:1-2.

The Apostolic teaching in 2Cor 11:4 is that error was to come INTO the Christian church from WITHIN (as he also says in Acts 20) - the only defense was "sola scriptura" ) -comparing it to God's Word at every step.

It was practiced EVEN in the OT - Isaiah 8:20 "To the Law and to the Testimony - if they speak not according to this word - they have no light".

There was no command in scripture to "wait until the NT is complete before checking out doctrine according to Scripture".

That is the "perserverance" part of 5 Point Calvinism. If you do not perservere some year in the future - then you never were saved to start with. Not all Baptists are 5 pt calvinists and not all non-Catholics go for that model.

In John 6 Christ did not say "SOME day I will be the bread of heaven that gives LIFE" nor did He say "Some day in the future you will need to eat my flesh and drink my blood to have LIFE". Christ said that it was ALREADY true - and none of His disciples took a bite out of His arm that day.

In that same chapter Christ said "The Flesh is literally worthless - it is MY WORD that GIVES life".

The Apostle Peter confirms in that very chapter - "YOU have the WORDS of life".

Reading the entire chapter - it is hard to see how anyone could view it as "taking a bite out of Christ" that day.

In Christ,

Bob

[ December 31, 2002, 05:06 AM: Message edited by: BobRyan ]