1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A good book for the times

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by grail, Apr 19, 2004.

1. grail

grail New Member

I have only been saved for about a year now. When I first began going to church, I often wondered why so many churchgoers experienced so many problems. They were all still content, but why did good people seem to be dealt such a bad hand. Later on, a friend of mine told me about a book he found on a website that dealt with that.

This is not a selling ploy to get you to go somewhere. The name of the book is: "When bad things happen to good people" By Harold S. Kushner. I really helped me understand the vagueness of "God creates the good and the bad" and I understand better now what my role is in God's plan.

[The above book is written by a Jewish Rabbi]

[Posting Rule #7: No solicitation or advertising of any kind. Our message boards are for discussions, not to sell goods or services. If you would like to advertise, please contact us for an advertising package.]

Thanks so much

[ April 19, 2004, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: dianetavegia ]

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi grail, Welcome, go on up to the Welcome section and make yourself known so more people can welcome you!

I haven't read Kushner's book but I've heard plenty about it.

Kushner's god just isn't strong enough to deal with all the evil in the world, so bad things happen.

From a Reformed Jewish point of view, that may be acceptable but it's not the God of the Old Testament (or the New Testament). Our God is sovereign over all things.

Even in the so called "bad" things, we still know that "all things work together for good to those who love God, who are called according to His purpose."

We may not understand the why of pain, suffering and death, but we can take comfort that our God is in control.

Rob