1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Guide To Godly Disputation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JerryL, Apr 25, 2008.

1. JerryL

JerryL New Member

I thought this was pretty good.

A GUIDE TO GODLY DISPUTATION
    JOHN NEWTON (1725-1807)
    A minister, about to write an article criticizing a fellow minister for his lack of
    orthodoxy, wrote to John Newton of his intention. Newton replied as follows.

"Dear Sir,
    As you are likely to be engaged in controversy, and your love of truth is
    joined with natural warmth of temper, my friendship makes me solicitous on your
    behalf. You are of the strongest side; for truth is great, and must prevail; so that a
    person of abilities inferior to yours might take the field with a confidence of
    victory. I am not therefore anxious for the event of the battle; but I would have
    you more than a conqueror, and to triumph, not only over your adversary, but
    also over yourself. If you cannot be vanquished, you may be wounded. To
    preserve you from such wounds as might give you cause of weeping over your
    conquests, I would present you with some considerations, which, if duly attended
    to, will do you the service of a great coat of mail; such armor, that you need not
    complain, as David did of Saul’s, that it will be more cumbersome than useful; for
    you will easily perceive it is taken from that great magazine provided for the
    Christian soldier, the word of God. I take it for granted that you will not expect
    any apology for my freedom, and therefore I shall not offer one. For methods
    sake, I may reduce my advice to three heads: respecting your opponent, the public, and yourself.
    As to your opponent, I wish that before you set pen to paper against him,
    and during the whole time you are preparing your answer, you may commend
    him by earnest prayer to the Lord’s teaching and blessing"

http://www.thirdmill.org/files/engl...02_9-33-28_AM~PT.Newton.godly.disputation.pdf

2. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is Exellent.

3. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Very good. Amen. Would that I would remember this excellent advice.