1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A 'KEY' QUESTION

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Salty, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. Does your church have a key policy?
    2. How many members should have a church key?
    3. Sould non-members have a church key?
    4. Who should decide who gets a key?
    5. Should there be a "key-control" officer?
    6. How do you go about getting a key back esp from a "backslidden" member?
    7. Should all church locks be changed, say every five years?

8. Should all churches of the Bap Board be required to issue a key to Dr. Bob?

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Where are the carpet police when you need them?

3. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Wasn't there a time when the church doors were never locked? I remember as a child when we lived next door to the Methodist church. We used to go inside to get a drink from the fountain after playing ball. The doors were alawys open. It's too bad we have to lock everything up these days.

We would usually give a key to whomever worked around the building. Pastor, deacons, workers. That was about it. And a few of the older folk that have been there for many years.

4. DavidsAngel

DavidsAngel Guest

I remember when Churches were a sanctuary, and were always open. It was the only safe place I knew of growing up. It's really sad that this generation dosen't have that.

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

Churches are locked because people in general do not honor a house if worship anymore. Leave your church unlocked now and the next day you have vandalism, spray paint,and missing office equipment.
    As for keys, those who are regular members who work in ministry and often need to get into the church to work usually have keys, I don't think all of them do though. I have a key. I asked the pastor, a few of us in womens ministry one night were the only ones left and we did not have a key, we had to call around to find someone who could lock it for us. Got a member who no longer attends and is 'backslidden' just ask for it back.

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I just heard on t.v. that vandals were breaking into churches in the hurricane's path and some had been caught. How awful!

Our church has a fancy alarm system too!

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I hate that we have to have a key, but sometimes, we police too much. We protect "things" at the expense of the "people".