1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A little "end time" confusion (Who is leaving?)

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by menageriekeeper, Nov 13, 2011.

1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Well said!

2. beameup

beameup Member

Like I said before, this reminds me of Rev 19:11-16

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
    His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.
    And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.
    And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.
    And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron:
    and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.
    And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.

Of course, all the contemporary historians of the first century (like Josephus) somehow missed "recording this event".

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here is how Paul described it in 1cor15;

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is the exact place to go, although it is note-worthy that psalm 110 is directly quoted 6x....... the dispensational error cannot deal with the reality of Joel 2-3.....this is that......because they are in a rush to look for the ten nation confederacy, the mark of the beast,and another anti-christ,rather than looking at Christ on the throne.....ruling is Kingdom in the MIDST of His enemies.....

Look up,sun moon and stars in scripture...it is used several times,for change of Goverment,or rule.

5. beameup

beameup Member

When Moses turned the Nile River into blood was it hippo blood or crocodile blood? Or perhaps fish blood? Or maybe frog blood?

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You are not understanding what Peter is saying about Joel. He is not saying they are happening that very day (present tense). He is saying that this is the last days, (present tense continual action). The passage he quoted from Joel is only a part of the passage and he is using it to show it is now the last days, not that those things he mentioned are happening right then. The things mentioned will come to pass during during the last days but not that day and it is still the last days and they still have not happened. If you read Joel you will see this all comes about AFTER something that has not happened yet.
    Verse 2:38 of Joel reads as follows;
    And it shall come to pass afterward, [that] I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:

After what? Well you have to read the passages from 2:1 through 2:27 to see what those things are and they have not happened yet. Israel has not had these things happen yet, but they will in the future after Messiah returns.

7. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Die-hard futurism. There is no point in anyone bothering you with the actual verses of Scripture.

Act 2:21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Still future, eh? By your admission, this also would be not happening yet.

Please.

8. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly. Psalm 110 is another of those passages that has great NT significance.

One of the best Bible study tools that have benefited me, if I can even call it a tool, is merely studying out how the inspired New Testament writers used the inspired Old Testament writings. Studying these out will keep a person busy for a very long time. There is such a rich gold mine in this one mode of study.

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Yes it is happening but it is not past. Present tense continual action not past action. The same with the rest of the verse. Last days is happening now but it is not past. It will all happen in the future just like those who call on the Lord are in the future while going on now.

And it shall come to pass afterward, [that] I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:

After what? Well you have to read the passages from 2:1 through 2:27 to see what those things are and they have not happened yet. Israel has not had these things happen yet, but they will in the future after Messiah returns.

#109 freeatlast, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2011
  10. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

There is much truth in what you say. Unfortunately dispensationalists will not recognize the way the Old Testament is used by writers of the New Testament, rather always trying to give their "face value" interpretation dominance over the revelation of the New Testament! A similar use of Old Testament prophecy is used by James at the Jerusalem Conference:

Acts 15:13-21
    13. And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto me:
    14. Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.
    15. And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written,
    16. After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up:
    17. That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things.

18. Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.

In an aside: I wonder how those "Gospel of Paul" people handle those Gentiles that Peter preached to; after a little persuasion by God!

11. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

Drawing an unnatural connection between figurative judgement language & historical language only serves to weaken the credibility of your position. If you follow your hermeneutic methods to their logical conclusion, then you must also believe that the stars, most much larger than our own sun, will physically "fall" to earth at some point in time. It is this type of ridiculous thinking that led to my realization that dispensationalism is more imaginative fantasy than Biblical-based theology.
    We must also conclude that since the moon has not literally turned to blood yet, then salvation has not come to men. The very next verse states that this must happen before we can be saved by calling upon Christ in faith, or do you read a pause in time or some other cryptic language between the lines? :rolleyes:
    Please explain how your system accounts for this Biblical chronology of events.

The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come: And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved. (Act 2:20-21)

"Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken"
    "And the stars of heaven shall fall, and the powers that are in heaven shall be shaken."
    "And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring"

#111 michael-acts17:11, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2011
  12. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes indeed. '"Thou hast put all things in subjection under His feet." For in that He put all in subjection under Him, He left nothing that is not put under Him. but now we see not yet all things put under Him' (Heb 2:8). Christ is ruling, but we do not yet perceive it.

Perhaps this may be helpful.

http://marprelate.wordpress.com/2009/12/22/the-lord-jesus-christ-king-priest-and-judge/

Steve

13. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Got a question for you Brother. When does that "great and notable day of the Lord" take place?

14. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a comment on the part you underlined. This does not have the same force that it had in the 60s AD, when Hebrews was written. From the writer's perspective not all things were under Christ's feet. But from a Biblical post AD 70 perspective they are now. By Biblical I mean especially those cross-references on just what is meant by those terms, like 1 Cor, 15 and the OT passages from which they draw.

Christ's rule, now and then, was never a matter of visible, physical perception, but spiritual awareness.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Out of curiosity Tom, may I ask if you believe in "New Covenant" Theology?

16. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I do. As far as I can tell, I adhere to NCT. Of course, I am finding that there is some variation among those who use that term. But not as much variation as those who call themselves "Reformed Baptist", which I also am.

I especially like the writings of Riesinger, particularly those that deal with the Covenants.

By way of clarification, here is an article I wrote in 2006 when I realized that I was an adherent of NCT. It is a defense of Riesinger against unfair charges leveled against him and by none other than RC Sproul's Tabletalk magazine:
    http://asterisktom.xanga.com/510738968/new-covenant-theology-good-teaching-gets-a-bad-rap---and-a-bad-rep/

#116 asterisktom, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2011
  17. beameup

beameup Member

Armageddon

18. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The writer to the Hebrews was well aware that Christ was reigning and that His reign commenced at His assension (Phil 2:8-9). But he was also aware of the situation that pertained at the time he wrote, which are very similar to what they were when the Lord Jesus prophesied and also what they have been ever since.

'Many [deceivers] shall come in My name.' True then; true now.
    'Wars and rumours of wars.' True then; true now. 'But the end is not yet.'
    'Nation will rise against nation.' True then; true now.
    'Famines, pestilences and earthquakes.' True then; true now.'
    'Many will be offended and betray one another.' True then; true now.
    'Many false prophets will rise up.' True then; true now.
    'And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold' True then; true now.
    'But he who endures to the end shall be saved.' True then; true now.

The events of AD 70 changed nothing for those living outside of Judea. Christ was reigning then and is reigning now in the midst of [His] enemies' and it is with 'spiritual awareness' that 'we see Jesus...crowned with glory and honour...' and 'look forward to the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Saviour Jesus Christ' (Titus 2:13) They were looking forward to it then; we look forward to it now.

Steve

19. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

Still not following your beliefs to their logical conclusions and pulling verses out of their Scriptural contexts. If that day occurs at the culmination of human history, then salvation is not yet come to man. Do you believe that God saved you when you called out to Christ in faith? If so, then your beliefs are in conflict.

20. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There were actually profound changes in these years throughout the Roman Empire, just as prophesied. There was diverse massacres of Jews in various regions (3000 in Cyrene, for instance), as well general upheavals. Every major direction in the Empire had its upheavals: Boadicea, the valiant woman in Britain, the Parthians, Iberians, Italy itself being convulsed in the Year of Four Emperors.

#120 asterisktom, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2011