1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A look at the different Methodist churches

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Salty, May 27, 2007.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A good overview! Thanks.

It was interesting to me since I was in Wesleyan quite a long time, and your post also mention that Wesleyan was split due to the disagreement over Slavery in 1843, which is quite true. Wesleyans are very strong in expounding Sanctification, which is also mentioned in your post.

What may be interesting further to know is the today's trends among the Methodists, as I heard some of them are inclined to the Ecumenical movement, to joining with Roman Catholic or COE, etc.

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    A significant number of the 50 church founders of the SDA church were members of the "Church of the Brethren" I don't know if they have any connection with the "Unite Brethren" in the list above.

Ellen Harmon (White) was actually a member of the Unite Methodist church.

4. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

Thank you very much for the link about the various Methodist branches. I was baptised in the United Methodist church in 1985, although I am currently with the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod. The United Methodist Church is definitely into the ecumenical movement. Several years ago, they agreed to have communion with the Episcopal Church and Evangellical Luitheran Church in America.

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church existed in America for nearly a century until it merged into the United Presbyterian Church in 1920.

6. Dustin

Dustin New Member

George Whitefield was one of those Calvinist Methodists, I believe.