1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Mystery To Me...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by TCGreek, Aug 14, 2007.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

Of course we are able to sin, but we are dead to sins control over us.

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

one could choose to live like an armenian and still never be saved, only thinks they are, based on their precieved freedom, not God's.

3. skypair

skypair Active Member

Just so I have this straight -- they could live like an Arminian but not like a Calvinist?? A Calvinist couldn't just assume they were saved despite doing NOTHING that might merit God's grace??

I mean, that would conform to your sotierology of "unconditional election" and "total sovereignty of God" for someone not to do anything on behalf of his own salvation and then pretend to be "elect" by "holy living," wouldn't it?? If your answer is in the negative, pls explain for me.

skypair

4. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Dear skypair,

I submit to you that brother Martin is a child of God, a born again child of God. Why would you malign and slander your brother so? You ought not to treat the brethren this way.

5. ReformedBaptist

Amen brother. I have found great comfort in the Scriptures that give us our Lord's prayer for His people. In the Gospel of John, chapter 17, we are granted by the mercy and grace of God the high priestly prayer of the Lord Jesus Christ. We know we have such an Advocate in our Lord Jesus Christ who makes intercession for His people. 1 John 2:1; Isa 53:12; Rom 8:34.

Is there any prayer that our Lord Jesus Christ would ask of the Father and it be denied Him? God forbid. And He prays for those whom the Father has given Him. "I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine." John 17:9 This he is speaking particularly of the Apostles, yet it is not the only people Jesus is praying for.

"Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word." John 17:20.

Our Lord Jesus, our great High Priest, interecedes for all believers. And He asks the Father to sanctify them. "Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth." v.17

Hallelujah. My eternal life is secure because it rests upon the work of the Lord Jesus Christ. v.2 My sanctification is secure becaue it rests upon the work of the Lord Jesus Christ v.17 And my glorification is secure because it rests upon the work of Lord Jesus Christ, "Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world." v.24.

Grace, Grace! From first to last! What comfort the interecession of our Lord brings to weary saints!!!

Soli Deo Gloria,
    RB

6. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

TC, it is a mystery. Me and my brother were talking about this the other day, and we came to the conclusion that Christians are sanctified by how much exposure they have to the truth, i.e. preaching and teaching. I was looking at the people in my church and people who seem to be spiritually stagnant. Then I seen my friend Derek and my brother Matt, both who have been saved for about a year and are growing leaps and bounds.

Matt and Derek both listen to great teachers and preachers, while the majority of other people at my church only listen to our Pastors sermons. Matt has listened to MacArthur, Paul Washer, Sproul, and others, and Derek has listened to Ray Comfort and has been devouring Spurgeon's sermons. As they hear the Word preached and taught, it is amazing to see how it molds them.

Eph 4:11 11And He (A)gave (B)some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as (C)evangelists, and some as pastors and (D)teachers, 12(E)for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of (F)the body of Christ;

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I praise God for your friend's growth! But the real growth takes place when we sit down in the quiet with God's word and nothing else. I appreciate teachers, but too many times, especially with babes in Christ, our doctrine can be formed by the opinions of others instead of God's word.
    We must be careful. Books are good, God's word is best.

The different growth rates are a mystery to me as well. We all have the same Spirit, yet we don't all have the same hunger for learning.

It's certainly a reminder of the greatness of God and our inability to comprehend it all. Maybe that's why He leaves some things unanswered. (at least for now)
    :)

8. ReformedBaptist

Hey those other preachers are some really good ones! Spurgeon is an all time favorite of mine..

9. skypair

skypair Active Member

Cause TC's "the man!" He knows God is free but he is trying to change what it means that God created us free like Him! It's great showmanship --- if God is free and can't choose bad, then we are free and can't choose good. Problem is, neither is a true statement.

skypair

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

if you ahve to merit God's grace, then it no longer grace, but an earned reward for good behavior. Thats not the bible defination of grace, you got backwards.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

God created us to be able to chose good or bad, but your forgetting the fall, we all are sinners now because of it, we aren't the way God created us to be.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I've wrestled with this one. We know Christ was tempted in every way from Scripture, and to be tempted means the chance either to do something or not exists. If God could sin, though, He would cease to be God. That's a tough one.
    Adam and Lucifer obviously could choose to sin without a sin nature, so this one is tough...

13. skypair

skypair Active Member

This is true, but is an infant a sinner? Or is a babe created just as innocent as Adam and, like Adam, chooses sin?

See, I see no "inherent" sin in a baby. Sin develops from instincts misapplied -- "I need" to "I want." Ezek 18:20 clearly says 2 things: 1) the babe bears none of the sin of its parents and 2) "the soul that sinneth, it shall surely die" (which presumes that one was once sinless before God.

skypair

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An infant is a sinner !

15. skypair

skypair Active Member

Now sweetheart -- you know I'm not saying that. A "condition" of marriage is that you accept the proposal. If I get down on one knee and ask you to marry me and you are silent... and silent... and silent... and pretty soon you're dead, we haven't been married at all, now have we?

Of course, some people's approach to this is just to live together without the marriage but acting like it -- "playing house." Do you think God is amused when people come into His church to "play house?" Yeah, they want the "benes" but not the commitment of their whole lives -- and not on the "front end" to boot! I think your theology mistakes commitment for works on purpose, DonnA.

skypair

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What sin have they committed...being conceived? Ludicrous...

17. ReformedBaptist

Amen. Romans 11:6 "And if by grace, then it is no longer of works; otherwise grace is no longer grace. But if it is of works, it is no longer grace; otherwise work is no longer work."

18. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

*Not trying to hijack this thread*

This is a common sentiment echoed in my denominational circle. That is, the idea that real growth comes from personal Bible study. I have tested this, and found this is not true, not only in my own life, but in the lives of others as well.

If spiritual growth could be achieved on our own, without a Pastor, then why did God specially call Preachers? Eph 4:11-12, as I quoted earlier, says that through preachers, teachers, apostles, and evangelists are we equipped for ministry, not through personal Bible study. I cut out personal devotions for about 2-3 months. I did not read the Word much, but each morning I would watch Sproul, listen to other preachers and read Christian books, and I grew more in that time then when I was studying the Bible on my own.

19. ReformedBaptist

Amen brother. I thought the same too, but didn't want to say it. I am glad you did!

20. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I never said that we should ignore pastors and teachers. God gave them to us. You have misunderstood me. But even the greatest teacher is a mere man and cannot compare to the inerrancy of God's word.

No teacher or preacher comes close to God's Holy Word. That is all I'm saying.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
    2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.