1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Paper on some schools

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by SATS PROF, Jul 24, 2023.

1. SATS PROF

SATS PROF Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wrote this treatise while a Corban. Do you agree with it?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with it

I do believe there are many reasons people seek out less than legitimate degrees.

One reason is self-elevation. Another may be looking for a short cut, or perhaps a cheap way to "earn" a degree.

At the same time part of the issue lands on our churches and the "professionalization" of the ministry. I understand the need for an education. I was not going into the ministry yet still researched my graduate program and made sure it was an accredited seminary.

But looking at available positions in churches, many require at least a MDiv for non-senior pastor positions that were typically apprenticeship ministries in the past. For example, look up positions for a youth minister and see how many require graduate degrees.

When I was younger the youth minister was often a college graduate working on a seminary degree while serving and gaining experience. He worked closely with the pastor (then we had one pastor and several ministers, the pastor being the "overseer" of the church).

My point is churches can be guilty of becoming an obstacle. The idea is often that if God calls you then He makes a way. Unfortunately often it is the church that God is calling to make that way and the call is ignored.