1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Question For Non-Lordship Proponents

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by IronWill, Jul 28, 2008.

1. IronWill

IronWill New Member

Not really, because you missed the total intent of her question. You answered the wrong question. The question was not "do I have to stop to become" a Christian.

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I think my answer got lost in the shuffle. It's a few pages back..

Answer: If you become a Christian you WILL stop commiting fornication, which you are doing now, for which the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. Therefore, repent and turn away from your wickedness and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. There is salvation from the wrath of God in no other.

3. North Carolina Tentmaker

Close, but not exactly. First believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, there is salvation and sanctification available. Then you can turn from your fornication. If you try to save yourself first then one of two things will happen. First, you may fail. This will probably be the result and you will continue to live without Christ because you have allowed your sin to come between you and God. Or, second, you will succeed and stop commiting fornication. And then why will you need Christ?

What if we turn that question around? What if instead of asking “If I become a Christian do I have to stop sleeping with my girlfriend?” We instead ask, “Do Christians ever commit immorality?” Of course we know that Christians do sin, I am not condoning that, but we know it happens.

You know this reminds me of the kinds of questions the Pharisees loved to ask Jesus. You remember the day they brought him a woman taken in adultery (John 8). Do you remember His response? Yes he told her to go and sin no more (John 8:11), that’s great, but before that he first told her accusers, “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.”

To really understand this statement you must also understand that when it came to capital crimes in the Jewish law witnesses not only gave testimony but also had to participate in the execution. If a man or woman was convicted and sentenced to death the witnesses on who’s testimony they were convicted were required by law to throw the first stone. If you were going to bear witness of a crime and because of that testimony someone was going to be put to death then you had to do more than just testify. Their blood was on your hands by action and word.

Then after that, Jesus himself, the one man there who could have cast that first stone, the one man there who was without sin, then he says to her, “Neither do I condemn thee (John 8:11).

So someone is committing immorality with their girlfriend and they want to get saved. It’s not your job to condemn them and tell them God’s grace will not reach them. God’s grace is sufficient and they can be saved, no matter what their motives or intentions.

When it comes to condemning them and changing their behavior; why don’t we leave that up to God? I am not approving of their actions or lifestyle, but I am not some kind of gatekeeper who gets to decide who comes to Jesus and who is not allowed to, and neither are you.

4. ReformedBaptist

While there is much that can be replied to your post, it's probably enough to stop here. I do not believe the Scriptures to teach that Christ died and rose again to make salvation merely available, or possible. He actually and truly accomplished salvation for those He died and rose again for.

5. North Carolina Tentmaker

I can agree with you on that RB. Whatever our differences I think we agree that Christ did the work.

6. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's think of this another way:

"Does Jesus want you to stop sleeping with your girlfriend?"

The answer is unequivocally yes.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Then why did David fornicate?

8. ReformedBaptist

Are you insinuating that I am teaching Christain prefectionism? Please don't confuse the subject with another.

9. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Excellent question, and just the kind of thing that drove me to examine the doctrine of salvation from a fresh perspective.

This thread has revealed the futility of framing the conversation about salvation around the decisional powers of the human mind. Only the power of the Holy Spirit can save a human, and He does it by turning them FROM sin TO God.

I would simply tell the young man that if he is not ready to turn from sin then he is not ready to turn to God, and I would pray that God would convict him of his sin. Using psychological manipulation to get him to "say the prayer" would be pointless (eternally speaking anyway - but it would be another "decision" that could be recorded for bragging purposes in a "soul-winning" church).

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Did you not say you WILL stop fornicating? I'm not insinuating anything...it was your own words.

11. ReformedBaptist

So your going to argue about my meaning? lol

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not arguing at all. You stated something emphatically. I called you out on that statemt. Simple. "Will" doesn't leave much wiggle room :)

13. ReformedBaptist

So you are going to argue about my meaning. Case closed. :laugh:

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Since your definition of will is different than what I believe it to mean, I guess so. :thumbs:

15. ReformedBaptist

Thanks for the admission. I do not argue about my own meaning. :wavey:

16. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Whenever I witness to someone who tells me "they like their sin too much to become a Christian" I know I am dealing with someone who still thinks they have to work to earn salvation.

You cannot come into the kingdom on those terms. You have nothing of any worth or righteousness to offer for your salvation.

You have to come on on Jesus' terms: knowing you are deserving of hell and knowing He alone can GIVE you salvation, trusting in Him to do so.

Now, that said, some folks do not understand that after salvation comes sanctification--the process whereby God gives us a "new wanter." They do not understand that they will not want to do some things they now enjoy, or want to do some things they do not now enjoy. If that seems to be the case, I tell them about that "new wanter."

But the proper order of salvation is not "new wanter", then clean up my act, then get saved. It is get saved, begin getting "new wanter", then watch as God begins cleaning up my act.

People who "get" this are saved. And you know they are Christians by their love.

People who don't "get" this are religious. And they think they prove their "salvation" by the Bible version they use, their theology, or their righteous behavior.

But ALL our righteousness is as filthy rags. ALL OF IT.

Remember, the proud one thanking God he was not a sinner like the others did not go home justified (saved.) It was the humble sinner begging for mercy who did.

17. North Carolina Tentmaker

Excellent post nodak, thank you.

You know I think we can take this question a step further and instead of immorality being a sin that keeps this man from Christ, we can turn it around and use his sin to drive him to Christ. The Bible tells us that the law is a schoolmaster or teacher (Gal 3:24-25) that brings us to Christ. The TV show with Kirk Cameron does a great job of this.

Obviously the individual in this hypothetical is feeling guilt and remorse or he would not bring it up. He certainly does not feel justified or holy.

I remember the day my second son got saved. He was about 7 and we were in the car on the way back to school after taking him to the dentist. He started talking about a boy in his class that was a bully and did some mean things and he said, “I just don’t see how someone like that could be a Christian.” That gave me the opportunity to point out that my son was not perfect either. The knowledge of his own sin led him to accept Christ right there in front seat. Without the knowledge that there is sin in our lives, without knowing that we need to change, that we need a savior, why would any of us come to Christ?

18. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I would tell him I used to think in exactly the same way. I knew that there were things in my life that were standing between me and God and I wasn't willing to give them up. But then I would tell him about some of the most difficult things I've had to face without God, just me alone, and I realized that one day we would all have to face death either alone or with Jesus Christ by our side. Finally, I would say that since I've accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior I've still had to deal with hard times but never alone again. I now have Him by my side. And I don't fear death anymore. I still sin but recognize that I've fallen away from Him and repent. Christians have it all, the best life and the best death.