1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A Question

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Van, May 18, 2014.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pretty much so. If they believe in the verbal-plenary inspiration of the original, they are going to say that the TR is God's preserved Word in Greek. But the Ruckmanite/Riplingerite crowd is going to see the Eng. KJV as such, having invented a doctrine of continued inspiration.
    Pretty much so, though I've known people who were not KJVO yet believed the Greek NT was best preserved in the TR. Such folk will not reject out of hand such translations as the WEB, but will prefer the KJV or NKJV or maybe the Modern KJV as done by Jay Green (who would obviously fall in this last category, having done his own revision of the KJV).

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    true, as they would be those who would also allow for versions such as the Geneva and NKJV as being English word of God to us!

Think after studying/reading all of the various theories concerning textual criticism, I come down on the side of one can prefer to use as the basis the TR/MT/CT, and if the parties have a proper translation theory/practice, we can get decent and good versions from any of those!

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right!

I note with interest, here JOJ completely agrees with the OP. Yet, he never seemed to understand it, being blinded by his zeal the defend what he mistakenly thought was an attack on the Byzantine Textform. Go figure. Dare I observe, yet again he did not know what he was talking about. :)

but it is a smokescreen.

4. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hey, this is BB. We'll have no logic nor reason here. Bruce fixed the Chun, btw.

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understood easily what you were saying in your OP. But you mis-characterized the Byzantine Priority method of textual criticism in your OP, so I corrected you. You said in the OP, "Lots of folks claim they stick with the KJV or the NKJV because they accept the notion of Byzantine Priority...." This is not true. The average KJVO advocate doesn't even know what Byzantine Priority is. (I've discussed it with them.)

You, as usual, are unwilling to admit your lack of knowledge in the area of textual criticism, so you obfuscate. End of story. :type:

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, yeah, well if Bruce Lee were here right now, I'd challenge him...to a game of Shogi, Japanese chess that is. :smilewinkgrin:

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As usual JOJ makes one charge after another, with no facts. Did I at any time in this thread or any other thread ever make a claim that I had expertize in textual criticism? No quote with be forthcoming. So a false charge.

I did use Byzantine Priority to refer to giving priority to the Byzantine text over and against the Alexandrian text. Obviously I was referring to the underlying text used to produce an English translation, but JOJ saw an opportunity to muddy the water and proclaim his superior knowledge. :)

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think the point is that to those advocating KJVO, ONLY the TR was the right Greek text to use, so unless the Web uses JUST that source...

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He told you that the Byzantine priority business is not something the average Joe KJVO knows anything about. So it is not A or THE reason for their reliance on the KJV alone.

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, I knew you'd say something like this. It's your usual response rather than admitting you made a mistake. :smilewinkgrin:

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think the average KJVO would not be able to use textual criticism to support why TR better than either CT/MT texts, but that "God gave us the Kjv!"

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Peter Ruckman butchers what little knowledge he has of textual criticism. Riplinger's lack of knowledge in this area would fill books--all she's written in fact! D. A. Waite has a good education in Greek, so sometimes I wonder if he's secretly ashamed of some of the positions he's taken. Jay Green, according to a source of mine, allegedly needs lots of help in the original languages.

Time forbids my delineating the ignorance of the other various writers in the movement. Those listed above often depend on Edward Hills or John Burgon for what little they know.

13. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

Is that the same as 象棋, Chinese chess, or does Japan really have a different version than China?

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Shogi (将棋) is different from the Chinese version, which I was able to buy in Hong Kong some years ago. The interesting thing about Shogi is that when you capture a piece you can face it the other way and put it anywhere on the board you want, or even save it for an emergency!

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting that those whose expertise is not in the original manuscripts would have such confidence that those whose life work are in such things would have to be all wrong!

16. jonathan.borland

That's too cool, basically doubling the adverse effect of losing a piece.

Chinese chess has some peculiarities from Int'l chess, such as: the kings are able to pin pieces because the two kings can never directly face each other; the 炮, cannon, can only capture a piece by jumping an intermediate piece; no powerful piece like the queen; the two 仕, officials to protect the king, as well as the king itself, are confined to a small square of 3 spaces x 3 spaces on each respective side; the two 象, elephants, are like our bishops but can only move a few spaces at a time and cannot cross the center into enemy territory; the 兵, soldiers or pawns, capture the piece directly in front of them until they pass the center board, after which they can also capture a piece horizontally (but never diagonally as in int'l chess); there is no upgrading of pawns to higher pieces; luckily, the horses and rooks act as in int'l chess, except that the horse can be blocked (and therefore its ability to check) by any piece directly in front of it.

After these structural differences are taken into account, the game is pretty fun and attack sequences are similar, but IMO take longer to develop than in int'l chess.

Is Shogi anywhere similar to what I've just described?

17. jonathan.borland

Also in Chinese chess you cannot use captured pieces to your advantage. Bummer!

18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did I claim expertize in textual criticism? Nope. Did you slander me by claiming I would not admit to a lack of knowledge? Yep
    Did you admit your mistake? Nope.

You see, I can provide the quotes, the facts, and evidence. You blew it and you seem to lack the character to admit it.

The issue is not that KJVO or P actually have expertize in textual criticism, the issue is, as you agreed, they attempt to bolster there support for the KJV by claiming the underlying Byzantine "textform" is superior.

Therefore I made no mistake and you agreed with me. The non-use of the WEB blows the whole "underlying text (Byzantine Textform) is superior" right out of the water.

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    People of the KJVO or KJVP persuasion by and large are completely unaware of the Byzantine priority issue as has been pointed out several times.

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I showed you clearly an error in your OP concerning Byzantine Priority. You have refused to acknowledge said error. Period. End of story. Not a shred of evidence of slander by me. Get off your high horse.