1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A rant about worship songs

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by annsni, Sep 1, 2010.

1. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Nodak I thank you for a nice exposition of your opinion. Thank God I don't have to follow it. Worship would be mighty boring otherwise.

2. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

It need not be boring.

I once was part of a church that did just what I said--took some time to evaluate the music.

Some--both old and new--were theologically horrible though popular, and they scrapped those.

Some--both old and new--just couldn't stand up to being sung by the choir, or in hymn sandwich usage and were scrapped.

Some--both old and new, by the way--just seemed plain silly unless sung eyes closed and hands raised and bodies swaying. They got scrapped.

What was left was a mix of old hymnal stuff, older contemporary, and some excellent stuff that was then new. (Guess it would be middle aged contemporary now-lol.)

It was then done in the newer block format (I hate the format but still it worked well) with a lively praise band. Lot's of hands raised, occasional closed eyes and swaying, but less of a feel of USING the music to create emotion and more a feeling of the emotion being a response to God.

Sort of like doing a verse of Just as I Am at the invitation. It's fine, but if nobody moves and we sing it 14 times, with the preacher crying louder each time, it is manipulation.

3. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Whoa - boring? If "worship" is boring, there is no actual worshiping going on.

4. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Exactly jaigner!!!!!!!!!!

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God have mercy.