1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Reviler

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Ben W, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Here is an interesting article that I picked up from an Evangelical Anglican website that many in here will find interesting.

- Confessions from a reviler

I read this the other day:
    Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. (1 Cor 6:9-10)

I think I’ve always skimmed over the word ‘reviler’ because I didn’t know what it meant. I assumed it meant something similar to ‘slanderer’ (since the NIV uses ‘slanderer’ where the ESV has ‘reviler’). It occurred to me that perhaps I should find out what a reviler is, just in case I was one. So I went and looked it up in the Macquarie Dictionary:
    revile: assail with contemptuous or opprobrious language; to address, or speak of, abusively.

And, while I was at it:
    slander: a malicious, false, and defamatory statement or report.

Apart from having to skim over ‘opprobrious’ because I didn’t know what it meant, I found this little dictionary exercise to be enlightening and challenging. You might even call it ‘defining’ (sorry).

For example, do you ever find yourself thinking along these lines: Person X has done something about which I am frustrated or annoyed or irritated or angry or upset. I’m only human, so for my own wellbeing I need to vent. But if what I am saying about person X is true, then it isn’t slander. It isn’t false. So it’s ok, even if it’s bad.

But in my venting, I’m more than likely speaking abusively, and so being a ‘reviler’.

Or try this on for size: Person X has done something about which I am frustrated or annoyed or irritated or angry or upset. Of course, I’m only human so for my own wellbeing I just need to vent. But as long as I don’t name person X, I can say what I like about them because no-one knows who I’m talking about. So technically it’s not slandering or reviling them.

It’s a bit pharisaic, isn’t it? It doesn’t matter if no-one else knows who I am talking about. God knows. And I know.

It reminds me of Matthew 15:18-20:
    But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person. For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander. These are what defile a person.

So, with God’s help, no more of those thinly-veiled (or not-so-thinly-veiled) whinges, now that the dictionary has helped to reveal my reviling.

http://www.matthiasmedia.com.au/

2. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Ouch! My toes hurt.

The same word is "railer" in I Cor 5:11

1 Cor 5:11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.

Barnes Commentary:
    Or a railer - A reproachful man; a man of coarse, harsh, and bitter words; a man whose characteristic it was to abuse others; to vilify their character, and wound their feelings. It is needless to say how much this is contrary to the spirit of Christianity, and to the example of the Master, “who when he was reviled, reviled not again.”

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent, excellent points! [​IMG] The sins of the tongue will undo us everytime! [​IMG]

4. preacher

preacher New Member

Amen to that.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. GospelExplained.com

GospelExplained.com New Member

A reviler thinks that they are feared and therefore revered, ain't that weird.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Interesting, never thought about it before.
    Guilty as charged!
    But...what's the kingdom of God, and how will we not inherit it if it's the fruit of salvation and you can't lose salvation?

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Cor. 6:11,

And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

10. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

It is the thousand year reign of Christ on this earth when he returns at the end of the tribulation. This is a time when Christ rewards his faithful servants by crowning them and allowing them to reign with him. This is not something that we automatically recieve when we believe on the Lord for the free gift of our eternal salvation, but a 'prize', indeed the high calling of Christians.

11. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

What were the rest of them?

12. cojosh

cojosh New Member

Good post!!! [​IMG]

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ugh! What a sorry reward to temporarily reign over a piece of real estate that will be burned up after only a measly thousand years.

The Kingdom of God is Christianity.

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What were the rest of them? </font>[/QUOTE]Why do you ask?

15. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

What were the rest of them? </font>[/QUOTE]Why do you ask? </font>[/QUOTE]1 Corinthians 6:9-10
    9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
    10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Why doesn't it say such were all of you?

Romans 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

16. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Ugh! What a sorry reward to temporarily reign over a piece of real estate that will be burned up after only a measly thousand years.

The Kingdom of God is Christianity.
    </font>[/QUOTE]And did you just revile the millennial kingdom?

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are unrighteous people who could not be called homosexual (abusers of themselves with mankind), but some could. He's saying that some of them were the most depraved of sinners. He's certainly not saying there's a line to be drawn between the unrighteous and thieves and fornicators, et al.

But his warning is against deception. We all like to think that the vices we cherish in our own lives are somehow acceptable to God—especially revilers who would be the first to point out Christ's calling the Pharisees vipers and hypocrites and whitewashed sepulchres to justify their evil speaking.

18. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not at all. Just put the fallacy in its proper perspective.

19. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

There are unrighteous people who could not be called homosexual (abusers of themselves with mankind), but some could. He's saying that some of them were the most depraved of sinners. He's certainly not saying there's a line to be drawn between the unrighteous and thieves and fornicators, et al.

But his warning is against deception. We all like to think that the vices we cherish in our own lives are somehow acceptable to God—especially revilers who would be the first to point out Christ's calling the Pharisees vipers and hypocrites and whitewashed sepulchres to justify their evil speaking.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I would be the first to agree that there are some sins that are greater than others. But he also included the covetous in that list.

Romans 7:7
    7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

I don't believe he is merely pointing out how bad some of them used to be, but likely also that some of them still are.

1Co 6:7 Now therefore there is utterly a fault among you, because ye go to law one with another. Why do ye not rather take wrong? why do ye not rather suffer yourselves to be defrauded?
    8 Nay, ye do wrong, and defraud, and that your brethren.

But ye are washed, he goes on to say. Those that are defrauding their brethren are washed, sanctified, justified in the name of the Lord. Does that mean that they are not in danger of not inheriting the kingdom? Then why is he warning them?

20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The same reason he warns the Hebrews about an "evil heart of unbelief" and "the deceitfulness of sin."

Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God. But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;