1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A sincere question

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by TommyZ, Sep 24, 2005.

1. TommyZ

TommyZ New Member

Hello everyone!

I am a new member to these wonderful threads. I am hopeful that someone with insight can provide an answer for my question.

My questions is do all members of the Baptist Bible Fellowships agree on the trinity doctrine or can some disagree with this doctrine?

I hope this is not considered a silly question. I am unsure of the answer and would sincerely like to know.

Sincerely,
    TommyZ

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

No sincere question is ever silly.

I don't know of any Baptist group, church, or fellowship that denies the Trinity.

Welcome to the Baptist Board [​IMG] .

3. FundamentalDan

FundamentalDan New Member

I concur, C4K. The doctrine of the Trinity is universally accepted in every Baptist group or denomination that I have ever known about.

TommyZ, for your information, most denominations and churches that would be considered Christian would also hold to this doctrine. Of the large denominations and churches that I know of, only the United Pentecostals and the Unitarians deny the Trinity. I would be interested to find out if any other groups do.

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the BBFI web page.

ARTICLE III - AFFILIATION

Affiliation with the Baptist Bible Fellowship International is open to any Baptist pastor of a supporting Baptist church believing in and adhering to the Word of God, on the basis of the Articles of Faith appended hereto. A supporting Baptist church is one that financially supports our missions or colleges.

Of The True God
    We believe that there is one, and only one, living and true God, an infinite, intelligent Spirit, the maker and supreme ruler of heaven and earth; inexpressibly glorious in holiness and worthy of all possible honor, confidence and love; that in the unity of the Godhead there are three persons, the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost, equal in every divine perfection, and executing distinct but harmonious offices in the great work of redemption.

5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Tommy

Not and be a Christian, much less a Baptist.

I did not know that the
    were anti-trinitarian? That is scary, and it could be why they get deceived so easily.

6. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

Tommy

Originally posted by El Guero:
    quote:

Tommy
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    can some disagree with this doctrine?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not and be a Christian, much less a Baptist.

Tommy,I agree.
    I John 5:7
    For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

7. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

8. TommyZ

TommyZ New Member

Thanks so much for all of your replies they were informative and helpful.

One last question. What would happen if a BBFI member openly rejected and denied the trinity? Would there be consequences for this?

Sincerely,
    TommyZ

9. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no mechanism that I am aware of in the BBFI bylaws to remove a member.

10. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    were anti-trinitarian? That is scary, and it could be why they get deceived so easily. </font>[/QUOTE]The UPC is a minority subset of Pentecostalism that you may have heard referred to as Oneness Pentecostals who subscribe to what could be considered a modalist view of the Godhead.

They would describe it as Jesus the Father, Jesus the Son and Jesus the Holy Spirit.

CARM : Oneness Pentecostalism

11. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

I agree that the doctrine of the Trinity is one of the fundamentals of the faith. I am not sure that one has to fully understand it to be a believer (Acts 10, 16, et al). But I do feel quite certain that a true believer could not repudiate the doctrine of the Trinity.

I would however prefer to establish this based on more passages than the comma johanneum.

12. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

Originally posted by rjprince:
    I would however prefer to establish this based on more passages than the comma johanneum.

I would highly recommend this site to those who would like to study more on the Biblical doctrine of the Trinity. It goes far beyond the verse(s) in I John that many call into question.
    http://www.gotquestions.org/Trinity-Bible.html

13. FundamentalDan

FundamentalDan New Member

The individual church would have to take care of this errant member and vote him out. The BBFI is, to my understanding, not a denomination. Because they are not, they cannot force a church to remove an errant member.

14. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

Check the bylaws of your church to determine what can be done with the individual. There's a difference between believing contrary to church doctrine (and remaining silent) and shouting your beliefs from the rooftops.

15. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

The only members of the BBFI are the pastors themselves and not the churches. The fellowship does not have any influence on the local church other than the opportunities for corporate missions/church planting.

If a memeber of a church did deny the Doctrine of the Trinity, then that local church would deal with it. It would probably include some pointed discipleship and intense discussions until either the member came to understand and accept the Doctrine or a determination was made that fellowship needs to be broken to protect the church.

16. Joanna

Joanna New Member

The denial of the Trinity is a fatal error!
    Someone that denies the Trinity ought to be put out of the church before he infects others with his heresy.

But we can never understand the Trinity, just like we can never understand creation out of nothing etc. etc. We just have to believe it because God has revealed it.