1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

a source of old English Bibles

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Logos1560, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are now several sources of reprints of old English Bibles and the text of some of them can be found online at sites such as
    www.studylight.org

The "facsimile" reprints of old English Bibles are sometimes fairly expensive. There is also a source that has reprinted the text of several of the old English Bibles. Most of these are not "facsimile" reproductions or photocopies of original editions. There still have the old spelling but are in modern print. Thus, they are easier to read than the old type of photocopies. Most of the text reprints omit the apocrypha that was found in the original editions and do not include any marginal notes. A pastor that has a Bible Museum has these reprints of the text of the old Bibles available at the following web address:

www.lulu.com/BibleMuseum

The text of the 1540 Great Bible has just been made available, and I don't presently know of any other place where a copy of a Great Bible with both Old Testament and New Testament can be obtained. The New Testament of a Great Bible was reprinted in the 1960's NEW TESTAMENT OCTAPLA edited by Luther Weigle, but it is hard to find.

Other "text" reprints available at this site include:

the 1395 Wycliffe's Bible
    the 1534 Tyndale's Bible
    1535 Coverdale's Bible New Testament
    the 1535 Coverdale's Bible
    the 1568 Bishops' Bible
    a 1587 edition of the Geneva Bible
    a 1611 edition of the KJV

I have already obtained and examined a hardback 1395 Wycliffe's Bible, a paperback 1535 Coverdale's New Testament, and a hardback 1535 Coverdale's Bible from this source, and I have ordered a hardback 1540 Great Bible.

The size of the paperback Coverdale's N. T. was 6" wide by 9" tall
    while the size of the hardback Coverdale's Bible was 8 1/2" wide by 11 1/4" tall. The paperback Coverdale's N. T. had a single column of text on each page while the hardback Coverdale's Bible has two columns of text on each page.

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Old English Bibles

What a collection!
    I've found that the quality of a facsimile may be spotty.
    Steer clear of photocopies.

I picked up a 1732 Baskett Bible on EBay a while back for less than $50. What a find!

Pages and binding are solid, the boards are good, but the cover is shot.

Anybody know a good Bible restorer?

Rob

#2 Deacon, Aug 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2006
  3. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Below is the web address and address of one place that will rebind Bibles
    whose web site I visited. I have not personally tried their services.

www.krepsbookbinding.com

[​IMG]