1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A test for intellectuals

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by stilllearning, Sep 4, 2010.

1. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

I agree, but i wasn't putting up a "false dilemma"

Let me put it in other words, words are so limited, so hard to express that you can pick it apart and make it into something someone didn't say.

If my intelligent and wisdom i have is preventing me from coming, believing or trusting in Christ, i will give it up. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge without that, the wisdom is a false one.

#21 psalms109:31, Sep 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2010
  2. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry for the mistake. I was taking your last sentence more at face value than you intended. Also I assumed that yours was the OP and you were continuing along those lines.

So let me just say that stilllearning that has given us a false dilemma. Of course, if he is indeed still learning there is reason to hope this too will change.

Take care.

3. psalms109:31

Wise in your eyes

Proverbs 3:7
    Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil.

Proverbs 26:5
    Answer a fool according to his folly, or he will be wise in his own eyes.

Proverbs 26:12
    Do you see a man wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.

Proverbs 26:16
    The sluggard is wiser in his own eyes than seven men who answer discreetly.

Proverbs 28:11
    A rich man may be wise in his own eyes, but a poor man who has discernment sees through him.

Ecclesiastes 2:14
    The wise man has eyes in his head, while the fool walks in the darkness; but I came to realize that the same fate overtakes them both.

Isaiah 5:21
    Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes and clever in their own sight.

There is a big difference between the wisdom that we see in our own eyes, compared to the wisdom from God.

4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

It is not intelligence and wisdom keeping someone from Christ. It is the lack faith. Man can allow anything to keep him from accepting Christ.

Missionaries must learn languages. I am amazed at that. That intellectual pursuit is a gift from God. I do not have it (or at least it is at the very least painful to me), but were God to send me to Japan as He has John, I know He would equip me. I have other intellectual gifts. God has equipped me intellectually for the job to which He has called me.

5. psalms109:31

Wise

Luke 10:21
    At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure.

6. psalms109:31

Trust

i believe a big part of our teaching missing is teaching them to be meek and humble and trusting in the Lord even over their own understanding.

Proverbs 3:
    5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;

6 in all your ways acknowledge him,
    and he will make your paths straight. [Or will direct your paths ]

7 Do not be wise in your own eyes;
    fear the LORD and shun evil.

#26 psalms109:31, Sep 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2010
  7. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good point! :thumbs:

Learning a foreign language to a professional level requires a great amount of hard work to get knowledge and understanding, and then wisdom about how to use words, idioms, etc.

After graduating from Japanese language school (two years, full time), I tried to be friendly with a lady and her little boy, hoping to witness. The little boy was hiding behind Mommy, so I tried to say "He doesn't want to talk to me," but used the wrong combination of words and said, "He's a filthy little guy, isn't he?" She grabbed her boy's hand and stalked off! So I sought more wisdom with a dictionary, and when I gained the proper knowledge, I understood what I had said! :tonofbricks:

I especially admire missionaries among tribal peoples who have to learn a language in the raw, with no dictionaries or textbooks or grammars. Such a missionary will gain great amounts of knowledge the hard way--word by word. Then they need that knowledge plus wisdom and understanding to translate the Word of God.

8. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

OH my, speaking of intellectual pursuits . . .

from my post (which I did not catch until John quoted it):
    *ahem* at most, one of those at leasts should be dropped! English isn't usually one of the languages I struggle with. sooooo I'll remove at least one: (or at least, it is painful to me) :tonofbricks:

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, it's okay to suppress your inner proof reader on the BB. :thumbs:

10. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Hello mcdirector

Sorry for taking so long to respond, I have been away.

You said........
    With this statement, you have hit the nail on the head.

The main issue of my OP, is not an indictment upon intellectualism or learning, as was made clear by the second Scripture used.

The fact is, when anyone lifts man’s wisdom(Colossians 2:8), above God’s Word, “faith” becomes the casualty.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Therefore the “test for intellectuals”, is actually a challenge for all believers, to fully accept God’s Word as fact.

I am becoming a stickler in this area. Whenever I reference an Biblical event I am very careful to call it “an account”, instead of a “Bible story”.

Thank you mcdirector, for getting my point.

11. stilllearning

Hello asterisktom

You said.......
    Could you please explain to me, how my OP, is setting up “a false dilemma”.

Thank you

12. stilllearning

Hello John

You said......
    I made it clear in the OP, that the “wisdom” that I was talking about was worldly wisdom, that is opposed to Christ.....
    “.....after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.”

Therefore it was misleading, for you to correct me for saying something that I did not say.

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry, it was not clear to me at all that what you were talking about was "worldly wisdom, that is opposed to Christ." Your simply quoting a verse without discussing what you think about the second half of the verse did not tell me that. It was confusing.
    I stand by my disagreement with your OP. I'll say it as clearly as I know how: the verse is not talking about "worldly wisdom" in general, as you say it is. It is talking about a specific subject, human philosophy--an organized system of thought, not what Grandma said that wasn't in the Bible.

Colosse was a Greek city, therefore the first thing the readers of Paul's epistle would think of was Greek philosophies--that is, well thought out views of the world and how to live. You can't properly take the New Testament term "philosophy" and make it mean "human wisdom" in general.

14. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In short, it is your equating "love of wisdom" with the worldly wisdom. Those are two different things.

Just so there is no misunderstanding: I agree totally with your seven points.

I believe that the real test has to do with belief vs. unbelief: Do we believe God's Word or not. People fall for "philosophy and vain deceit,"[that is] "after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world," not because of their love for wisdom, as you seem to imply, but because they do not believe the Word of God above all. A true love for God's Word necessarily stems from hearty love of God Himself. These things keep us from the world's wisdom.

15. stilllearning

Hi John

I warmly accept your apology, and I understand what you are getting at.

Although I agree, that when Paul used this particular word(“philosophy”), that he was referring to the Greek philosophy that the Saints in Colosse had been exposed to;
    The entire verse, warns us all about the dangers of Worldly wisdom........
    “.....after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.”

Therefore, the folks in Colosse were able to apply it to their particular situation, while Saints for all ages could receive a warning about the love of any wisdom, that had it’s roots in a Christ rejecting world.

Am I on the right track...?

16. stilllearning

Hi asterisktom

Thank you for your quick response.

In response to your statement.......
    ....I went back for another look at my OP, and even though my intent for this post, was a “test of our faith”, the first line of my post, reveals a personal opinion that I had, that was wrong.........
    --------------------------------------------------
    Just as my lack of sophistication should not lead people to jump to conclusions about me, so also the air of superiority that some people seem to have, does not give me a license to jump to conclusions about them.

Thanks for the insight.

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You look to be on the right track now. I believe we must clearly distinguish between the proper exegesis of a verse ("philosophy" as Greek philosophy) and its application: that we must reject all human wisdom "that had it's roots in a Christ rejecting world," as you well put it.

18. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The very fact that I wasn't the only one to misunderstand your OP should encourage you to re-examine what exactly you were communicating (not what you intended to communicate).

I honestly don't understand your last sentence. Are you assuming I am having an air of superiority?