1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Abbreviated Word Study G2523, kathizete

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Van, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The flaws were addressed and either corrected, deleting one verse where the word did not appear in the Critical text, and the other "flaw" was shown not to be an actual flaw, because reflexive pronouns are sometimes used with active verbs in Koine Greek, the Greek of scripture.

And to the contrary, the primary observation derived from the study is that the translators leave out the literal meaning that is there in the text, and pour in words with meanings from elsewhere.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do realise that atimes, their views on the best way to approach the translating of original languages into English will determined how "literal" to use, correct?

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do realize the word for word translation philosophy verses are the most literal, and the best starting point for word studies. With the stated goal of concordance and transparency, word studies show where different versions hit the mark or miss the mark.

Here, in this thread, we are looking at usages where our word, G2523, is used to convey seating a person for the purpose of judging or ruling a dispute. The transparent and concordant choice, "seat" or "seated himself, seated myself, and seated themselves, conveys the actual literal and contextual word meaning.

#23 Van, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2014
  4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From Post #6.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another repeat of a bogus claim. Rippon does not seem to grasp that the "flaw" was shown not to be an actual flaw, because reflexive pronouns are sometimes used with active verbs in Koine Greek, the Greek of scripture.

Both the NASB translators at Matthew 23:2 and the Apostle John himself, at 1 John 5:21 use reflexive pronouns (himself, yourself, myself, etc) with active voice verbs. Thus my translation "seated himself" is not grammatically flawed when viewed broadly as is found in koine Greek.

#25 Van, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2014
  6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you disagree with Greektim when he said that :"The action of sitting is less important than the place of sitting...the judgment seat."

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In this thread, we are looking at usages where our word, G2523, is used to convey seating a person for the purpose of judging or ruling a dispute. The transparent and concordant choice, "seat" or "seated himself, seated myself, and seated themselves, conveys the actual literal and contextual word meaning. Therefore the purpose seems most important to me.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, you want to discuss positions of posture to further our understanding. I see...

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rippon asked the question in post #26 , and now claims I want to discuss it. Just another effort to derail the thread and provide no on topic content.

In this thread, we are looking at usages where our word, G2523, is used to convey seating a person for the purpose of judging or ruling a dispute. The transparent and concordant choice, "seat" or "seated himself, seated myself, and seated themselves, conveys the actual literal and contextual word meaning. Therefore the purpose seems most important to me.

#29 Van, Aug 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2014
  10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Word for word translation philosophy versions, i.e. NASB, are the most literal, and the best starting point for word studies. With the stated goals of concordance and fidelity, word studies show if and when different versions reach those goals, i.e. hit the mark or miss the mark.

We are looking at usages where our word, G2523, kathizo, is used to convey seating a person for the purpose of judging or ruling a dispute. The concordant choices of "seat" or "seated himself" or "seated myself" and "seated themselves," convey the actual literal and contextual word meaning.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A so-called "literal" rendering is often at cross-purposes with a contextual meaning.

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In this thread, we are looking at usages where our word, G2523, is used to convey seating a person for the purpose of judging or ruling a dispute. The transparent and concordant choice, "seat" or "seated himself, seated myself, and seated themselves, conveys the actual literal and contextual word meaning.

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The above is true, but Van cannot see the light.

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The concordant choices of "seat" or "seated himself" or "seated myself" and "seated themselves," convey the actual literal and contextual word meaning.

No need to change the subject.

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From August 16,2014.

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rippon does not even grasp that that Greektim was agreeing that "seated himself" is a valid translation of kathizo. What he was saying is that other choices would be better in his opinion. My view that seated himself best rendered the Greek was not based on changing an active verb to the middle voice, because it does not, as shown in Matthew 23:2.

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since you didn't catch it the first two times I will highlight some relevant sentences from Greektim's August 16th post.

: So this is not a case that proves your point.
    : Your case that you have presented is flawed.
    : You pick and choose [what seems] to fit whatever agenda you have
    : And this is my point about [your] word studies...you want to put more in words than are really there...usually.

18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rippon still cannot grasp, or pretends he is unable to grasp what Greektim said.

I did not say, nor suggest I was making a point that it was ok to change an active verb into middle voice.

My case was not flawed, koine Greek does have examples of the use of reflexive pronouns with active verbs. Greektim was mistaken.

All my word studies are based on the NASB95, I do not pick and choose (translation shop) to support an agenda.

I did not put anything (a shade of meaning) that is not found in lexicons.

19. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you demonstrate where I even once mentioned anything to do w/ a reflexive pronoun and an active voice verb? I think it is you who misunderstood me.

20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Greektim, did I say you did? Words have meanings the meanings have merit.

I did not say, nor suggest I was making a point that it was ok to change an active verb into middle voice.