1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

About Attacks on Rick Warren

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, Aug 3, 2006.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Scientific and modern? :laugh:

I'm not the one who thinks a newborn can understand and respond to the Gospel. This sounds "scientific" if you ask me.

2. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Webdog, how are babies saved by grace, since, as you claim, they have not sinned? Seems to me that it's not God's grace that saves them, but that they are owed salvation. God is giving them what they deserve, since they are innocent.

3. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

"Regardless what Andy says, babies do not know this. My son spits his food all over the place. I tell him "no", and he spits anyway."

I remember telling my 9 mo. old son, "No" and he understanding it. He would crawl around getting into things and we would tell him "No" and he would stop (and then cry). So my experience is different than yours.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Rom 3:20 For by works of the law no human being will be justified in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin.
    Rom 5:13 for sin indeed was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not counted where there is no law.
    Rom 5:20 Now the law came in to increase the trespass, but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more,
    Rom 7:7 What then shall we say? That the law is sin? By no means! Yet if it had not been for the law, I would not have known sin. I would not have known what it is to covet if the law had not said, "You shall not covet."
    Rom 7:8 But sin, seizing an opportunity through the commandment, produced in me all kinds of covetousness. Apart from the law, sin lies dead.

5. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Webdog, you said that "Babies are saved by God's grace". But that is inconsistent with your views on sin and the age of accountability. How can it by God's grace since they are innocent, as you purport? Grace is receiving unmerited favor. Well, according to your views, the infant is receiving merited favor. Thus, it is no longer grace that saves him, but it is just payment for his merit. So you need to stop saying they are saved by grace.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How is Christ's death merited favor for anyone, infants included? Christ's blood atoned for ALL sin for ALL people, infants included. You don't get any more grace than that!

What is your take on the Scripture from Romans I posted?

7. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Believe me, I do believe that anyone who is saved is saved by God's grace, infant or otherwise! I don't think you believe that in regards to infants, even though you said such a few posts ago. Why would Christ need to atone for an infant's sin that doesn't exist? According to you, a person does not sin until they are accountable (whenever that is). So the person who dies in infancy has never sinned, thus, he is owed heaven since he never sinned.

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Maybe we could start a new thread?

are babies saved, or are not saved, by the Grace of God?

;)

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Again,

I should have worded my responses and questions better.

In Christ

Wayne

10. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

El Guero / Wayne,

You have nothing to apologize for. Your post way back had no influence on how I interpreted Webdog's post questioning MacArthur's salvation. Webdog's post was fairly straightforward, as I'm sure he would agree.

11. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Yeah, this thread has morphed from questioning Rick Warren's salvation to questioning Johnny Mac's to babies' capacity for understanding to Webdog's kid spitting food to mine crawling in disobedience to infant salvation and original sin! Whew!

12. whatever

whatever New Member

Since you think he cannot articulate what he knows, how can you know what he does not know? Maybe he does know what "no" means, and maybe he is articulating rebellion by spitting anyway. How can you tell?

13. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Great point. :thumbs:

14. Kris

Kris New Member

Yes...I am getting a bit dizzy :confused: :p

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That is much the case with my daughter. She knows she is a Christian and can easily articulate it. She began at a very early age telling people about Jesus as kids do. She shares her faith today with friends and people she meets. She has never come forward in any service or responded to any kind of 'come to Jesus" manipulation. She has asked questions and has made small decisions along the way. This past school year her aim was to read through the OT. This summer she is working on a survey of the NT workbook.