1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

About sophrology ????

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Spear, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Thanks, Rev! :wavey:

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

http://www.examiner.com/x-2766-Atlanta-Astrology-Examiner~y2009m2d14-ImagineThe-City-of-Atlanta-Board-of-Astrology-Exaniners

3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I completely agree with Marcia. There are things which seem perfectly fine, even fun, or that we can do and ignore certain parts of.

Forget it. Don't screw with it. Learn about it. Study it.

That includes yoga. At one point I got a yoga CD from McDonald's and was excited about starting it with my girls. Seemed harmless and fun, then I read and studied more about it and was SHOCKED at what it's a gateway to. I'm more than sure that other methods of weight loss exist...methods that aren't introductions to Satanic ideas and rituals. If there aren't, just keep the weight. Better a few extra pounds and a clear conscience than the alternative!

4. JMSR

JMSR New Member

I'm not asserting or defending one or the other, but now I have an honest question about what Titus 1:15 really means.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

There's a concept in interior design of energy flow of a room, which has absolutely nothing to do with feng shui. It's a practical design concept, not a philosophical concept. You're saing that it's occultic to control the energy flow of a room, just because some philosopher somewhere ascribes the notion of chi to it.
    I do not do so lightly, but I acknowlege that I overstepped the bounds of speaking the truth in love. According to your site, the Atlanta Board of Astrology Examiners was setup by the City of Atlanta. It was not. Now, the city did indeed require that anyone wanting to conduct business as a professional astrologer to adhere to professional standards (the multi-hour exam you refer to). But that exam was administered by the ABAE, not by the City. The ABAE was a not-for-profit agency not affiliated with the City, but conducted certification for the city, and the exams were given on city property. The reason for Atlanta doing so was to prevent fraud by people doing business as astologers (it has been illegal in Atlanta prior). Eventually, people seeking to achieve professional standards started going through the American Federation of Astrologers (they had a national standard exam).
    So offerred. I overstepped the bounds by accusing you of lying. I don't beleive you were intentionally lying. Rather it's a simple matter of your information being mistaken. You, however, owe me an opology for accusing me of engaging in the occult.

#25 Johnv, Oct 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2009
  6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Sorry, you are wrong. The energy is the "chi." Feng Shui comes from Taoist beleif, John.

You need to apologize to me publicly. You accused me of lying. The Board came about as a result of the city ordinance; this is why it came into being. Are you quibbling over my word selection? The Board was made up of astrologers who formulated and graded the exam. But the test was administered at City Hall. The City assigned test takers numbers to replace names, and they had the names for the numbers. The letters sent out to those who took the test, telling them whether they passed or failed, were sent out by a city office.

Maybe you don't like my wording but I am not lying. To say I'm lying is way over the line.
    But that is what you said. So I still think you should apologize.

I just looked over what I've written here and I never made personal comments to you until you attacked me, and that was simply in response to your remarks. And I never accused you of anything. I was simply giving the facts on Feng Shui.

#26 Marcia, Oct 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2009
  7. sag38

sag38 Active Member

John, you are way out of line my friend. Why not be a man and apologize correctly and move on? You disagree with Marcia and that's fine. But, you are dancing around the facts trying to make Marcia look bad. But, you are the one who has mud on his face.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Let me make this clear. I erred, and overstepped my bounds by accusing Marcia of lying, and I extend a heartfelt apology for that error. I won't make that same mistake again (okay, being human, I probably will, and if I do, I will buck up and apologize when it happens).

Now, in regards to a Christian using fensh shui techniques to decorate a room:

I stated earlier than there's a concept in interior design of energy flow of a room, which has absolutely nothing to do with feng shui. It's a practical design concept, not a philosophical concept. It has no basis in the Feng Shui philosophy whatsoever. Marcia, you're saying that it's occultic to control the energy flow of a room, just because some philosopher somewhere ascribes the notion of chi to it. To accuse a Christian of occultism in that case would be a false accusation. It's no different than the early Lutherans removing stained glass windows out of fear of them being "too catholic", or refusing to shake hands with people because it was a Muslim custom (yes, I know people who do that).

A Christian can use Feng Shui principles to decorate a room, and not compromise one's faith. A Christian can do karate and not compromise one's faith. A Christian can do yoga and not compromise one's faith. A Christian can participate in the Olympic Games and not compromise one's faith. A person can use the manes of the days of the week (which honor false gods) and not compromise one's faith. Etc, etc, etc.

#28 Johnv, Oct 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2009
  9. donnA

donnA Active Member

some christians do not care how much false religion they participate in as long as thye can find a way to justify it. the bible gives no such justification for playing games with false religions.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Except that there's no "participation" in false religions in the aforementioned examples. If you truly want to "stop participating" in false religion, stop using the names of the days of the week. Be sure to stop using the numerals 0-9, since that's a Muslim invention.

11. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Gods word doesn't cover all aspects of life. For instance God's word doesn't teach us how to make anti-biotics. Nor does God's word discuss the step by step process of how our brains work. Worshiping other gods is evil. Given. Food offered to other gods is a bad thing. The food itself is good not bad. Paul had a discourse about eating food offered to other gods does not condemn you save you think its sin.

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The topic of the OP is not food, but a practice. Please read some of my articles on related issues to see my points.

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Thank you, Johnv. I appreciate that very much.

What do you mean by "energy flow?" When Feng Shui experts refer to energy, they refer to chi, which is what Feng Shui is based on. If you are talking about aesthetics and how a room looks, or how the space looks or is arranged, that is not a true "energy flow." But if the term Feng Shui is being used, it is about chi. That is what Feng Shui is - those are just the facts.

And what kind of concept is it to "control the energy" of a room? What kind of energy? What is it composed of? How do we control it? This is what chi is and controling it is Feng Shui. This is occultism, to control or manipulate unquantifiable energy. If you are talking how a room looks, that's a physical and aesthetic thing, which is not what Feng Shui is based on. Did you read my articles on Feng Shui? I know what I'm talking about.

Using Feng Shui priniciples is using spiritual principles because that is what Feng Shui is. It started by finding a good gravesite for relatives so the ancestors would not disturb the living. It expanded with Taoist beliefs about man, earth, and heaven. Feng Shui uses a tool for divination and the principles are all based on attracting "good" chi and deflecting "bad" chi. It has to do with the parts of the house that have money areas, love areas, health areas, etc. and getting good chi in those areas. It's more comlpex than that, but those are the essentials. It also has to do with outdoor land configurations, bad and good luck, etc.

Feng Shui has been westernized so it will sell here and made to look as though it is mere decorating the way we know it, but it is not. I am guessing that is what you are talking about - a Westernized and probably watered-down version which uses the term "Feng Shui" but perhaps is not actually Feng Shui, or it is Feng Shui but disguises it with innocuous terms like "energy."

Feng Shui has these kinds of teachings:
    http://www.equip.org/articles/feng-shui-decorating

#33 Marcia, Oct 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2009
  14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Paul doesn't make a distinction. Paul says a person should not be judged not only in what they consume, but also, in celebrations they practice. But Paul goes on to say that no one should be disqualified by people who, as though displaying humility, go on and on about what they've seen.

That's exactly what is happenning when someone says "doing karate, practicing yoga, or decorating one's house using the rules of feng shui is occultic". That person's judgements should be avoided according to Paul.

15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

From the same link

16. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

From the same link

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Any room has a natural energey flow. There's nothing supernatural or mystic about it. The fact that feng shui attributes it to a supernational notion such as "chi" is irrelevant.
    Well, I did. I decorated my house using feng shui principles. And it didn't compromise my Christianity one iota.

18. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Yes, this is about food, not a practice based on spiritual beliefs in manipulating chi and balancing yin and yang. I do not see the analogy with Feng Shui (or yoga).

You keep bringing up karate - that is another topic. Actually, we had a thread on martial arts a few months ago.

19. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I will read your Articles as I find them interesting. However, the practice of siting in the Sieza posture like food is not bad. Practicing breathing to calm nerves and focus mind is not bad. Closing your eyes is not bad. Doing all these things together are not bad. Doing all these things and empting your mind and becoming self absorbed is. Thats how they relate. Principle is the same.

20. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Please explain "energy flow."

I don't think you used Feng Shui - maybe it was something calling itself Feng Shui. Or it was telling you what to do without saying why.