1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Abraham Lincoln's Religious Uncertainty

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Crabtownboy, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/history/2009/02/12/abraham-lincolns-religious-uncertainty.html

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

There was a list of presidents who never clearly stated their denomination.

Thomas Jefferson
    Abraham Lincoln
    Andrew Johnson

George Washington was a mystery also. Some say Episcopalian and we also know he was a Mason.

Some say TJ may have been a deist.

As for Lincoln, I believe he was a Christian because of his thirst to study scripture and the wisdom he showed through understanding and fluent use. I don't thin he has a specific denominational allegiance but I also don't think it's necessary for eternal life.

3. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

There's a strong argument that Lincoln was never truly converted. Even the strong pro-Lincoln historian Peter Marshall (junior) agrees that Lincoln was not a Christian until the third year in the White House.

I recommend the DVD on the Civil War debate between Peter Marshall and Steve Wilkins. It's available at http://store.nicenecouncil.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=51

4. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

And I realize that this thread was an attempt to cast shadows on an American icon. So Washington was a Mason. Does it really matter?

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only if you like shadows of compasses or aprons.

And I thought Eisenhower also never joined any church. He might have at one time been considered of his parents' faith, but not as an adult, because their was one opposed to all war.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Yea he likes to do that.

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

To many here on this board, yes... They will say one can't be a Mason and a Christian also. However, the truth is many of our founding fathers were Mason's.

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I just tell it like it is Bro... Must be the preacher in me.

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Whatever Jefferson was, he could not have been a Christian since he rejected all the miracles of Jesus. Didn't he tear out all the supernatural events in the NT and create the "Jefferson Bible?"

10. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most of the founding fathers were nowhere near similar to any form of a modern evangelical Christian. Anyone who supposes otherwise is either ill-informed or willfully ignorant.

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I didn't want to say it that way but I suspect you're fairly correct. There are so many on this board who believe we are a "Christian" nation founded on "Christian" principles by our founding fathers. I agree they used the words God and Creator a lot but I think they had a different understanding than we do today.