1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Abraham's people

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by pinoybaptist, Sep 4, 2004.

1. DavidsAngel

DavidsAngel Guest

hehe thanks for the spelling correction superdave [​IMG] .

That is what hit my mind. Because very recently I remember hearing how Elijah was taken up on a coach or a horse. Something of that nature although I can't remember the details. To be honest I wouldn't know where to look. Time to pull out the E-Sword and being looking [​IMG]

2. wopik

wopik New Member

superdave,

IMO, Enoch is dead and awaits the resurrection like everyone else.

Why would so important a doctrine (going to heaven when we died or to ever lasting hell fire) rest with a seemingly obscure single story of Enoch? Why wouldn't have Jesus been more forthwith with such a revelation and promise? Why didn't Paul talk about it?

Thus the Scripture records that Enoch was not found because God took him, or "translated" him. The Bible does NOT say that Enoch went to Heaven
    when he was translated. Instead it says he was not found.

This same Greek word is rendered "carried over" in Acts 7:16. Here we read that after Jacob DIED his body was "carried over"-transported, 'TRANSLATED - to Sychem WHERE HE WAS BURIED. That's what the Bible says.

Jacob was transported or TRANSLATED to the place of burial.

That is why Moses said that God TOOK Enoch. God removed - translated - him so that he was not found. God took Enoch and buried him.

In Deuteronomy 34:6 we read also how God took Moses from the people after which he died and was buried by God.

"But no man knoweth his sepulcher unto this day." God removed Moses. God translated him - and he was not found either!

So Enoch was not made immortal after all. He was taken away and was not found. ALL his days were three hundred and sixty-five. That's as long as Enoch lived.

3. superdave

superdave New Member

So in that scenario, where was Enoch taken? are you indicating that he remains in some state of limbo until the resurrection of the dead.

I was not making a statement regarding where Enoch went, or Elijah for that matter, simply differentiating their being "taken" from those who died natural deaths like Abraham, Jacob, and perhaps Moses.

Also think about the mount of transfiguration. Were the men seen by the apostles truly Elijah and Moses? Or were they merely visions, and if so, how would that jive with those men also being in the grave, awaiting resurrection?

4. wopik

wopik New Member

Jesus said it was merely a vision (Matt 17:9).

Enoch was taken (translated) and BURIED.

In Deuteronomy 34:6 we read also how God took Moses from the people after which he died and was BURIED by God.

In Acts 7:16, Here we read that after Jacob DIED his body was "carried over"-transported, TRANSLATED - to Sychem WHERE HE WAS BURIED.

----------------
    Enoch DIED (Hebrews 11:13).

After mentioning Enoch and many other OT saints, Paul says, "These all died IN FAITH, not having received the promises....." (Heb 11:13).

Enoch died in faith, therefore he will be resurrected immortal and will be translated into the Kingdom of God (Col. 1:13). Enoch will never "see death" -- the second death from which there is no resurrection (Rev 20:6).