1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ACCREDITED?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Paul1611, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Paul1611

Paul1611 New Member

HOW IMPORTANT IS IT FOR A BIBLE SCHOOL/COLLEGE TO BE ACCREDITED? I FEEL CALLED TO THE MINISTRY AND ALSO FEEL LIKE I NEED SOME PROPER TRAINING. SOME SCHOOLS THAT I HAVE LOOKED INTO ARE LOADED WITH BIBLE COURSES,AND THE MAIN EMPHASIS IS THE BIBLE, YET THEY ARE NOT ACCREDITED. WHILE OTHER SCHOOLS THAT I HAVE LOOKED INTO DO NOT HAVE AS MANY BIBLE COURSES AND ARE ACCREDITED. DOES A SCHOOL HAVE TO BE ACCREDITED TO BE A GOOD BIBLE SCHOOL? AND IS A SCHOOL BEING ACCREDITED OR NOT BEING ACCREDITED A BIG ISSUE WITH IN THE BAPTIST DENOMINATION( SOUTHERN OR INDEPENDANT)? I AM VERY NEW TO ALL OF THIS, AND WANT AS MUCH INFO AS POSSIBLE BEFORE MAKING ANY DECISION. THANKS

2. Brice

Brice New Member

Accreditation is important on so many levels (with the exceptions of a few established schools). It demonstrates rigor and holds the school accountable. For example in the early 90’s Liberty University almost lost their regional accreditation because of large amounts of debt. SACS (the accrediting body) said that a college cannot serve the students educationally with that amount of debt. This is no longer a problem, but serves as an example of accountability. On another level it becomes very hard to serve in the academic field or continue with education (M.A., Phd, etc.) without an accredited degree unless you want to go to an unaccredited seminary. There are so many options in education out there, don’t throw it away on an unaccredited degree. If you need more info there are many people on this board that can help. Rhec., UZ, Dr.Bob and many others know a great deal about this field. Also it would be helpful to post more information about your educational history. Do you have a B.A or B.S. etc.? God Bless.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Very. It signifies the validity of the education received, plus it attests that your education meets certain standards. I would never consider attending or recommending anyone to attend an unaccredited instituion for one's primary education. Personal enrighment, maybe, but not if you're persuing a degree.

I would ask the converse: If a school is reported to be so good, when why have they not pursued acccreditation. It's a red flag, imo.
    I don't know about that, but you're paying a good chuunk of money for your education. The very least a school can do for all that dough is to accredit themselves.

4. Paul1611

Paul1611 New Member

5. Paul1611

Paul1611 New Member

BRICE,
    I DO NOT HAVE ANY EDUCATION OTHER THAN THAT OF A HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA. THANKS FOR THE INFO.

6. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Paul,

it's interesting that you asked if accreditation was important to either SBC or Independents. Southern Baptists tend to hold that accreditation is more important than most Independents would see it. Most Independent Baptists would not worry about whether your college was accredited, and to some it might actually be seen as a possibility for compromise, though thats more on the extreme.

There are some very good Bible colleges which are not accredited based only on principle. IMO, if you pick an accredited school, you also need to look at which organization did the accreditation. If I understand correctly, there are more than one, and there are differences between their standards.

As an aside, I'd like to point out that Harvard and/or Yale (either both, or one, though I can't remember for sure which) is not accredited.....
    yet their reputation amongst the world's academia is unexcelled. I would contend that the same is possible for a Bible college.

7. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

both Harvard and Yale are accredited :rolleyes:

8. bapmom

bapmom New Member

nope UZ, at least one of them's not......maybe its Princeton.......let me say, its at least one of the Ivy League schools.

9. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Both Yale and Harvard have been accredited by the New England Association of Schools & Colleges since 1929.

As a Southern Baptist, I'd definitely say that if you want to minister in SBC circles, you should go to a regionally accredited school. TRACS might also be ok, but anything less than that won't help you much. Nevertheless, it's still up to the individual churches.

One reason why accredited colleges typically have fewer Bible courses is their emphasis on a well-rounded education. Having knowledge of the liberal arts will train you to think critically, and this approach will help you immensely in the study and interpretation of Scripture.

10. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Princeton is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (MSA), Middle States Commission on Higher Education.

11. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Than where am I getting this? I know one of the Ivy League schools is not accredited.

(not that it really matters except that I not be proven completely to have stuck my foot in my mouth on the "college" board..... [​IMG] )

12. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brown is accredited by the NEASC.
    Cornell is accredited by MSASC.
    Dartmouth is accredited by the NEASC.
    Penn is accredited by the MSASC.
    Columbia is accredited by the MSASC.

That rounds out the ivies.

13. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  14. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Ok, Stefan.....than Im going to go search somewhere and figure out what Im talking about.............

Sorry to have added that if I was wrong in that case.

[​IMG] :cool:

15. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's ok. I knew Harvard and Yale were accredited, but I hadn't verified the rest until right now. I have heard that rumor floated around a lot, though.

16. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

There were Bible schools that weren't accredited but were acceptable to seminaries on a case by case basis.

Northland BBC
    Bob Jones Univ.

There are more. But both of these schools are now seeking TRACS accreditation.

17. Brice

Brice New Member

Paul,

Are you looking to go to school as a resident student or distance learning? Also I’m not sure what your time frame is or background, but look at taking some CLEP tests to shorten your undergrad career. All accredited colleges accept these tests as undergrad credit. It makes your path to graduation shorter if you are proficient in a subject.

18. Brice

Brice New Member

Yeah there are a few colleges that are accepted in the christian realm without being accredited, but as a general rule it's a bad decision.

19. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not every college will accept CLEP exams, and each college determines the standard score for credit. My college won't accept science CLEP tests. They will, however, accept some others. My suggestion would be to contact the college (or colleges) you might attend and to ask them about their CLEP policies.

20. Brice

Brice New Member

StefanM,

I stand corrected if that is true. I've not come across one college that would not accept CLEP credit. I do know some set their scores higher than others, but never heard of one not accepting CLEP across the board. I do agree that you should contact the colleges you are considering to see which exams they accept. Not all schools accept all tests. Sorry for not being more clear. Hope this helps Paul1611, if not please fell free to ask more questions.