1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Acts 13:33

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by nate, Dec 29, 2005.

1. nate

nate New Member

I have been discussing with other individuals and Acts 13:33 was brought along with the eternal Sonship not diety but sonship of Christ. This other person believes that Jesus has always been God just not the SOn. In other words he does not believe in the eternal sonship of the Son of God and uses Acts 13:33 to bolster this view. I'll quote Acts 13:33 from several versions.

"God hath fulfilled the same vnto vs their children, in that he hath raised vp Iesus againe, as it is also written in the second Psalme: Thou art my Sonne, this day haue I begotten thee." KJV

" he has fulfilled for us, their descendants, by raising Jesus. As it is written in the second Psalm, 'You are my Son. Today I have become your Father.'" ISV

" this he has fulfilled to us their children by raising Jesus, as also it is written in the second Psalm, "'You are my Son, today I have begotten you.'" ESV

" that God hath fulfilled the same unto our children, in that he raised up Jesus; as also it is written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee." ASV

"13:33 that this promise God has fulfilled to us, their children, by raising Jesus, as also it is written in the second psalm, ‘You are my Son; today I have fathered you.’" NET

My point is they all seem to point to the fact that God "begot" or "fathered" Christ. Do you guys believe in the eternal Sonship of Christ? Again this issue is not addressing Christ's diety.

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This "fathering" or "begetting", I believe, refers to Jesus' resurrection, the first to rise from the dead to not die again, I.E. "Firstborn of the dead".

3. lindell dunning1

lindell dunning1 New Member

Friend Nate,
    The last portion of John 8 may address your question. Verse 58 especially.