1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured After Church Crowd at Restaurants

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by saturneptune, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I agree completely. I have wondered about this for years; I have no reason to explain it.

I do know that since my daughter worked as a waitress after high school, I have a new appreciation for what they put up with. And yes, she said the same thing about church members and how they were some of the worse tippers and the most demanding customers.

2. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

If a person cannot afford to tip properly, they cannot afford to eat out at that restaurant.

3. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

agreed :thumbs:

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I don't agree. In the first place I do not agree with a 15% min. It should always be based on the service and thta inclued the attitude of the person waiting the table.

5. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

WHAT!!!!......Don't you people know that it's a SIN to work on the Lord's Day, and that by going out to eat at a restaurant on a Sunday you're causing that restaurant's staff to work on Sunday?????

Shame....shame...shame!!!!! :smilewinkgrin:

6. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Do the world a favor and abstain from dining out.

7. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Reminds me of this month's supper out.

My husband and I regularly take the kids out to eat on payday. Depending on the month and who's birthday it might be, we might have 8-10 people. We make the rounds of the steakhouses but Outback is our fav and we have our fav location, but this is a monthly deal and sometimes we might eat at the "other one" lol.

This month we ate at our fav location. It had been since January since we had eaten there. Guess what?? Our waitress recognized us (3 months later!) and had requested we be seated in her section. Why?? Well she recognized us because not many folks walk in with a half dozen teenagers in tow, but she requested us because we are "good" customers. We tip at least 20%, if there is a problem we are polite, and life doesn't end for us if there is a problem.

There is no excuse for bad manners or short tippers. I even think it might be a sin to short change the wait staff. After all, the Bible does say the workman is worth his wage.

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

How about you Doing the church a favor [offensive language edited]

#28 freeatlast, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2012
  9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Thank you for the scriptural reminder. You made my piont.
    "workman is worth his wage"

#29 freeatlast, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2012
  10. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

In places where the workers depend on tips for the bulk of their income, the hourly wage is often a pittance. The minimum wage is what, $7.25 an hour now. My grand-daughter makes less than half that. If cheapskates like we've been talking about come in, she'll starve.

We believers ought to be figuring out how much we can tip, not how little.

Those waiters and waitresses ought to jump for joy when they see us coming.

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Tom I agree with you that we should be generous as possible to honor the Lord. However I am afraid that many of those who bus tables today feel it is their right to be tipped some going rate even if they give poor service and have bad attitudes. As to your daughter as long as she is a believe she will not starve. Scripture says;
    Psalm 37:25
    I have been young, and [now] am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.

One of the things I have done is ask the person who is waiting the table if I can pray for them about anything specific when I ask the blessing on the food.

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

They rave in faith.

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Lets all sing like the birdies sing, cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap.

14. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I take my grandson out for supper after church about once or twice a month

I've never left a tip

Then again they really don't expect one at Wendy's.

Rob

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Seriously? Believers have starved all through history! Yes, David might not have seen it but it doesn't mean that's a decree.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not just restaurants, I valet part time at a local ER. 9 out of 10 cars with a Bible or the local Christian station on do not tip. Most don't even say thank you. Lack of social skills and rudeness do not equate to lostness as our resident sin-free (except where he wished a brother dead) fruit inspector implied (freeatlast)

17. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

lol...lol....

18. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

As Christians if we are going to make someone cook our meal and serve it to us on Sunnday, then we should be generous enough to leave a decent tip. I feel 10-15% is OK and if the service is Great then give more. We must remember that most of the waitresses only get $4 or $5 an hour and the tips are to add up to make their wage decent. I would say if we tip 15% a waitress probably still makes less than $8 an hour. For many it is a second job to help feed their families in this tough economy.

19. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Actually, it's 2.13/hr in some places.

And 15-20 is the standard. If you can't meet that, it's okay. Just go to Wendy's or Whataburger or something.

20. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Okay, I'm really going to stir the hornets nest here and get some folks mad at me, but oh well. A couple of points/observations/comments from this thread.

(1) Tip 10% - your a cheapskate, you should stay home and eat baloney and cheese sandwhiches, you have no right to enter a fine restaurant, and you've don't know what God's grace is about (your not thankful), Tip 15% - your getting a little closer, but thats still not enough. Tip 20% - your an excellent Christian, the waiters/waitress will fight over you and treat you like the royalty that you are.

(2) I don't know where you folks in BB land are eating, but a night out for me in the wifey is not that extravagant. The most I've ever spent on a meal was about $100 when we were dating. I was trying to impress her, but it didn't, she's just as happy with a burger and fries. The last big meal we had was on our 5th anniversary, I think the total was about $75. A typical night out for us at a sit down restaurant, the total might be $20 to $30. Usually we drink water, and sometimes we will split the ticket.

(3)I've never served, but based upon my observations a typical server can wait on at least 4 tables at a time. If we are there for an hour, at the most between greeting, taking our order, bringing the food, filling up drinks, and bringing the check, I seriously doubt the server is spending more than 15 minutes at our table. If we tip $2.50 (10%), and everybody at the other tables tip the same, than thats $10.00 and hour from tips. Assuming the base pay from the restaurant is $4.00 (half of the minimum wage, I don't know what it actually is but I know its lower) than that is $14.00 an hour. A server that works 40 hrs a week is making a liveable wage in my part of the country. The reality is however, that most are only working part time while in school or as additional income. Either way, at a minimum $14.00 an hour is sufficient for the skill level IMO.

(4)Again, I've never served, but the premise that a larger party is harder work is a fallacy IMO. Instead of making 4 to 5 trips to bring out water, the server is doing it all in on spot, etc.

(5)Wether I eat at the good ole favorite sit down chain restaurant or some upscale joint, does the waiter work any harder. Seriously, if I'm ordering a $10 collosal burger or a $30 surf and turf plate, it takes no more effort. The server that works at the upscale restaurant is naturally going to make more because the final ticket will be higher.

(6) While I admittedly tip at least 10%, which is cheap to some, does not mean I'm not thankful for God's blessings/provisions. There have been several times in the past that the wifey and I have gone somewhere like Waffle House around Christmas time and left large tips. In fact this thread reminds me that we need to do that again sometime soon. There have been other instances where I've been led to tip very generously where I get the impression the server is really struggling or having a hard time.

(7) This one will really be taken the wrong way, but here goes. On numerous threads in the past on BB some that Ive participated in and some that I've not, regarding the issue of tithing, if someone believes in the literal 10th, their usually percieved as a legalist. I understand there is nothing in the NT, but myself I generally try to use the OT standard as a rule of thumb. The majority here seem to feel its okay just to give from your heart. However, if someone doesn't tip 20% they are somehow lacking in thankfulness to God for his mercy. Just seems like a bit of a double standard to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.