1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured After Church Crowd at Restaurants

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by saturneptune, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

But ann because of your serious liberal bent you do not believe the scriptures but I do.

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

It is obvious your three strongest spiritual gifts are graciousness, edification, and loving your neighbor as yourself. I was wondering if you would number those one to three as your best qualities.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If it was a directive of God, then I'd agree with you but it is not. Then we see this:

http://persecution.in/content/18-christians-starved-death-islamic-fanatics-somalia

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2004/january/14.30.html

http://austind90.wordpress.com/2011/10/08/christian-starvation/

http://www.bosnewslife.com/18209-somalias-starving-christians-struggle-after-beheading

4. mandym

mandym New Member

This video is a good example of that:

http://media.preachingtoday.com/mini-movies/7871/Faith-Without-Love

5. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

LOL Ann! You're a liberal and didn't know it!!

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yep, I've been one for a long time, apparently!! I can't remember just why I've been liberal in the past but because I have seen evidence of believers starving to death, I'm a liberal again. I guess liberal really means "disagreeing with FAL"? ;)

7. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Well... Welcome to the Club!!

:D

(I almost always disagree with FAL)

8. mandym

mandym New Member

What in the world is wrong with you?

9. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

I don't understand why people are having such a hard time with freeatlast's statement here.

If the service is horrible and the waiters attitude stinks, why do you think we should still tip a min. of 15%?

If the waiter stinks, he'll get nothing from me. I haven't had to do this in a long time, and I normally tip 20%, but if the situation calls for it I will leave no tip.

10. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I was using hyperbole regarding my granddaughter's starving. She won't while I'm alive.

I don't think I've ever had a waitress who gave really poor service and had an attitude. Oh, maybe one.

I tend to cut servers a lot of slack. They've got to really be incompetent to get a reduced tip. I fear there are too many folks out there looking for an excuse to tip less.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree. That was extremely disturbing to read.

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I watched the video. It infuriates me. There is no way I could be a waiter. First of all, that glass of water and food would have been dumped over the female customer's head, and the prayer the male member of the party said would have been shoved up his nose. These people treated the waitress like that and did not miss a beat with the blessing. It kind of reminds me of the Pharisees praying in the NT while squinting their eyes open to see who was watching.

The central question comes down to this. What went on the inside of a person the during the hour of worship right before going to the restaurant?

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

As I said in a previous post, I will refrain from describing what happens to food with some of the senarios in this thread, but they do happen, and all over the country.

14. Pleasant_Bill

Pleasant_Bill New Member

Why are you and your wife 'splitting the ticket'?!! Your monies should be combined (IMO) and you pay for the meal. A commitment to marriage should include finances (again, IMO). This may explain why you tip @ 10%. Hopefully when you do split the bill, your wife tips more.

Most (not all) of those waiters/waitresses are busting their butts not only bringing your food and refilling your drinks but also catering to every little whim of their customers. 'Can I get a side of _____' or 'can I get some more ____' not to mention they're EXPECTED (by their bosses) to clean as they come and go. You're off the mark thinking that they're only spending 15 mins at your table. And if you're stuck on an average of 10% on a $30 meal, is the extra $1.50-$3.00 going to drive you into foreclosure?

I don't see where anyone said if you tip less, you're not thankful. The consensus seems to be 'Get with the times; 10% is what people typically give for substandard service'.

Shouldn't Christians be the model for others in society? Those that are waiting tables in society are probably a little down on their luck and could use the few extra dollars.

I start at 20% and their tip can go up or down. I also tip 10% or more when I go get take out (pizza, chinese food, etc.....) because I've been there and KNOW they need any extra you can give them.

15. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Those are not spiritual gifts. Get into the book and you will not have to make up things!

16. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

This is what happens when you harden your heart and become deaf and blind. The word of God is no effect. The passage does not say that we cannot be starved or shot or hanged. It is dealing with God providing for His own. Your liberal bent has failed you again as God’s word never fails even though you want to claim it does.

17. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No you have never seen a believer starve to death. Ann you know that is absolutely false. God never fails. Someone may kill anopther by starvation, or by hanging them or shooting them but not because they simply starved and God did not provide. You are sooo liberal and blind. Why do you hate the word of God sooo much to speak against it?

18. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Perhaps some ARE trying to find excuses not to tip, I don't know, but again unless we know everything about them it is difficult to know. I would suggest that everyone here that is so concerned about the tipping practice of another brother or sister just watch them as they get up and leave and then walk over and put a tip down for them or add to the one they leave if you are really that spiritually minded and want the Lord's name protected. That is if you are really that spiritual. The other thing to could consider is just eat your meal and mind your own business although that would most likely take more discipline. ;)

19. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

What does this have to do with what I posted? Things happening to food happen before a tip is left...not after.

20. 12strings

12strings Active Member

1. So you're going to say that no believer in the history of the world has ever begged for bread? If a person does beg for bread, do you automatically judge them as not truly saved?

2. So unless you believe that Psalm 37:25 means no believer will starve (which it doesn't even say)...you are automatically a liberal and a hater of the word of God?

3. What about this scripture? - "Do not repay evil with evil, but repay evil with Good." (Doesn't that mean we should give a bad waitress a good tip?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.