1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

After the great flood

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by IAMWEAK_2007, Jul 28, 2009.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I have read the flood account in Genesis, and never thought anything but a world wide flood, with the mountains covered. The point of the event was that God does not tolerate evil, He had mercy on Noah and his family and thus the rest of us as this was one of those workings of God that lead to our salvation through Jesus Christ, and shows He brings us through any trial.

Until this thread, I never thought of arguing about the geology and population distribution of the earth at the time. It seems to miss the point, and no, I have no idea how to read Hebrew.

We took a trip to Sandia Crest near Albuquerque NM last summer. It is nearly 11000 ft above sea level. On the rocks at the top, one could clearly see sea shell fossils, so I know the flood was in what is now New Mexico.

I am really unclear about the point of one land mass and the continents ripping apart after the flood. Could someone tell me where this comes from?

2. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, I should have taken the time to re-read some of my stuff. However I have read enough from people who know much more than I who make a strong case for an Old Earth and local flood. Like I've said, I have no problem with either view, I have just studied enough to know it's not a slam dunk. I'm sure, on this topic, there are many more qualified to make a better defense.

My problem is those who see a certain type of language, (entire earth, whole world, ervery creature under the heavens, etc...) and insist that it means global when in reality it very often does not mean that.

Pastor Larry I will study more and come back a more worthy opponent. :wavey:

However, I am willing to go toe to toe on 2 Peter 3.:thumbs:

3. IAMWEAK_2007

IAMWEAK_2007 Member

Thanks, this is sufficient enough to answer my question, so the ice could be already there before the great flood and when the entire globe was covered with water, these ice that sits on the bottom suck huge volume of water and transformed to ice.

4. TomMann

TomMann New Member

Somehow I have never had a problem with the idea of a world wide flood. And I have never required an understanding of where the water came from or where it went. I think if you have a God who can say let there be...... and there was or let and it was so..... no further examination is needed. I believe it cause the word of God says it.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It could have been there...but Scripture states the water came from the heavens (rain) and from the ground, which doesn't sound like the polar caps melting. I believe they were never here until after the flood, as that is how the Lord decided what to do with all the water.