1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Age of Accountability

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Zenas, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just wondering when you're going to answer that call.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Full of one liners tonight I see.

3. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Maybe they can have an imperfect understanding, like you said to webdog in Post 40.
    Must they fully comprehend? And fully comprehend as compared to whom? I have a fair understanding of the gospel but compared to some of the people on this board my understanding is imperfect. By the way, Ann, "truly saved" is a redundancy. You are either saved or you are not. And being "truly saved" doesn't make you any more saved than just plain old being saved.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

In the Augustinian model they would have to. That is one reason I do not hold to that.

5. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

You don't hold to it, because you don't like the outcome???:confused: You want to write your own ending?

Maybe it's better to go with the Bible. Crazy idea I know.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree. See, I say "truly saved" because so many use the tag "saved" to say that they walked the aisle or they raised their hand but they actually did not become a new creation because there was no heart change.

I have absolutely no knowledge as to whether this is right or not but it makes sense to me - that God created us with enough knowledge to be able to have faith if we are going to be saved. Even those who are born with very damaged brains would have a way to have a very simple faith in Jesus Christ for salvation. But I don't believe that they are saved then lose their salvation at a certain point then have to get it back again. I do think that once one is saved, they are saved forever.

7. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a line from verse three of "There is a Fountain" that says,
    "be saved to sin no more"
    Who that has been born of the flesh, who, that is flesh had anything to do with that birth? Did you have to have faith to be born? Why would one think that if The Almighty Holy God was going to birth someone he would require the one being birthed to have anything to do with it. If our physical birth into this age is a type of our spiritual birth into the age to come would one require something from us that the other did not?
    Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
    "be saved to sin no more."
    Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
    Will this be absolutely true after the manifestation of the sons of God, being the sons of the resurrection OR will it not be true?

The hangup is in the dying and going somewhere instead of what the word teaches, all die in Adam and all shall be raised in Christ then the judgement.

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

If that is the case they have to lose it at age of accountability. You cannot have it both ways. it is clear what you are trying to do. because you cannot accept God as he is and this part of Him is hidden you are seeking to make up a method where you can still accept Him. We are to accept Him no matter what. That is what faith is not making up our own rules and conditions about God.

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

Little children can have faith, Jesus said so.

Mat 18:6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones WHICH BELIEVE IN ME, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

Now, I don't know how old these children were, but I get the impression they were very young, perhaps 4 or 5 years old, but Jesus said they believed in him. So obviously a person can have faith at a very young age.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Why is it that they have to lose their faith at the age of accountability? I would agree with that if salvation was insufficient but if it's good enough to get anyone into heaven, it's good for life.

Winman, my children were all saved at 4 and 5 years old. My girls were all 4 when they, of their own voice, were ready. Each one told us quietly that they wanted Jesus in their hearts because they loved Him and wanted to be with Him forever. My son took a little longer and he was 5 when this happened. My two oldest are now 18 and almost 21 and they both have VERY strong walks with the Lord (strong enough to make me weep with joy) and the two little ones who are 8 and 10 just seem to really have it as well. I don't see it as a little "Jesus loves me, I wanna raise my hand" thing but a true saving faith that will carry them through life. I've gotta say, I'm one grateful mama. :)

11. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For by grace are ye saved through faith;

Would like for several to give an answer. What does through faith mean here and is the part that pertains to the babies?

I am assuming this is saying how one is saved.

#51 percho, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2011
  12. Winman

Winman Active Member

That is wonderful Ann!

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What's crazy is taking Augustine's position as biblical truth, and not his understanding of it.

I don't hold to it because it is not biblical.

14. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I posted this earlier ...this answers the question if you understand it.
    All sinned in Adam...all infants,all people ever born sinned in Adam.
    they are guilty as soon as they are conceived.There is no "innocent"child.

15. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

I would like for someone to explain this scripture to me:

What did Paul mean when he said he was once alive without the law?

16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is not really relevant to this thread, but here is Albert Barnes on it;
    For more,look here;
    http://www.preceptaustin.org/romans_77-13.htm

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The problem with this is his "what it must mean". Paul stated emphatically "I was alive" and "I died", not "I considered myself alive" and "I was under further guilt". Surely the Holy Spirit could have inspired that, no?

18. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

Iconoclast
    It is relevant to the thread, as is what you cut and pasted.

How is that not relevant to this thread?

19. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    All men are accountable already as dead in Adam,as in my earlier post on romans 5:12 Paul's relation to the law of God,first using it for the wrong purpose does not have anything to do with any supposed age of accountability.
    How do you think it does?/ Or what am I misunderstanding about your post,maybe I do not understand how you are viewing this text....help me connect the dots,lol......there are a whole list of commentaries on the link, Differing opinions but worth the read.

20. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Webdog,
    I think Paul is using a form or figure of speech to explain his past wrong use of the law....not about alive or dead like in romans 5
    here is Matthew henry on verse 9;

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.