1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ain't this a kick in the head?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by targus, Sep 9, 2008.

1. targus

targus New Member

"Obama and 81 other senators opposed an amendment in 2005 to strike the infamous $231 million “Bridge to Nowhere” earmark for Alaska and redirect that funding to help with rebuilding New Orleans."

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/gop-scours-obama-votes-for-election-ammunition-2008-01-08.html

However, Sen. Biden and Sen. Obama voted for funding the Bridge, even when "given a second chance by Sen. Tom Coburn, who proposed shifting earmark funds to Katrina relief."

http://www.cdobs.com/archive/our-columns/obama-and-biden-voted-for-bridge-to-nowhere,1628/

Just google Obama and Biden Bridge to Nowhere and you will find lots of other documentation.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder where is "Times" reporting on this?

3. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

It's kind of like Palin, she was for the bridge to nowhere before she was against it! :laugh:

4. targus

targus New Member

I appreciate the irony here. Obama and Biden both not only voted for the bridge earmark - they simultaneously voted against aid to the hurricane victims.

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

And so we the people are asked to put one in office... At least we agree on something... :thumbs:

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

These articles are deceptive but I won't go into that. Let's just say the bridge was an earmark and not the main item on the bill.

The difference is Obama isn't using this bridge as a success story in his campaign. Palin would be ok if she just left this story out. It has been exposed as a lie and she needs to stop telling it because she sounds like the politicians we want off the hill when she talks to us like we don't know any better. And what's worse, the crowds go crazy when she says this lie. Shows the true face of the American voter when you know it's a lie and you cheer anyway.

7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, it's not a lie. She did turn off the bridge. If you leave it at face value, then she's not lying at all.

Did she initially? Nope. Does that make her statement that she terminated the bridge a lie? Nope; it's just not the whole story.

Has she, or McCain, or anyone in their campaign staffs stated that she never supported the bridge? That would be a bald-faced lie.

This is indicative of how this whole election is turning out: we're arguing the definition of "is."

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Can someone link me to the actual earmark Obama and the other 81 Senators voted against. I went through all the 05 and 06 senate votes and don't see it. I want to see how it is worded and what all was attached to it. I see many Katrina relief funds but none having to do with shifting money from the transportation act of 2005.

@Don... She was for it until McCain gave it the name Bridge to Nowhere. Congress then cut the funding for the bridge but agreed to still give Alaska the money as discretionary money to be used as they saw fit. This is when she said no thanks to the bridge. So technically the bridge was already stopped before she said no thanks which makes her a lier. The no thanks part was all Hollywood worthy acting for the sake of her loyal voters. Same as what she is doing to the nation now.