1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Al Mohler to be Nominated for SBC Presidency

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by PastorSBC1303, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This should wave a red flag. Though Mohler's history is encouraging, his endorsement of the Emerging Church's evaluation of the mission field and it's criteria for efficacious evangelism is disheartening.

Jeffress himself doesn't strike me as authentic. When he was voted in at FBC Dallas, he said that when he was an undergrad, "God said to me, 'One day you will be pastor of the First Baptist Church of Dallas.'… Whatever happens, I know I am in the center of God’s will." Did the congregation really swallow that when they heard it?

http://religion.beloblog.com/archives/2007/08/jeffress_picked_to_lead_first.html

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

There are enough men and women both prideful and humble in both Calvinist and non-Calvinist camps to go around.

You will find that the humble can occassionally make prideful comments and conversely, the prideful will surprise you with a humble comment. Either can be found if you look hard enough.

Dr. Mohler will make an excellent president for our convention. He is knowledgeable and thoughtful. I cannot believe that he will have any purpose but to unite. I do not understand whenever a Calvinist is mentioned for leadership that division is mentioned. I just do not see it happening.

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I'll not make a judgment on whether or not Dr. Albert R. Mohler would make a good SBC President or not, here. Personally, I would be surprised if much comes of this, this year, at least, if Dr. Frank Page is eligible for a second term as President. It may well be a 'talking point' for 2009, however.

However, if Dr. Page has served his two terms as President, already, then I think it would be a good possibility. I just checked it out- Dr. Page will have served his two terms, being re-elected to the traditional 2nd term in 2007.

The 2008 Convention will be in Indianapolis, and the 2009 Convention in Louisville. If there is such a thing as "home-field advantage" in the SBC, it would seem to favor Dr. Mohler, here. Certainly, some former Presidents of the SBC, including Pat Neff, R. G. Lee, J. W. Storer, W. A. Criswell, Jaroy Weber, Jim Henry, and Frank Page when elected, all 'benefitted' from the Convention being held near them, with R. G. Lee, Jim Henry, and Frank Page, basically being chosen when the Convention met in their "home-towns". So I would say that Dr. Mohler, given his demonstrated abilities and influence, has a "leg up" on the Presidency, should he desire it, especially with the upcoming election to be held in his own 'back yard.'

Ed

4. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a non-Calvinist, I am glad he's running and hope he will be elected.

From what some have written, I guess churches were never split before Calvinists came along... :laugh: :laugh:

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I don't know, but didn't the late Dr. W. A. Criswell say when he was in Seminary, that he wanted to pastor the largest church in the SBC, someday?

I read that somewhere, and how his friends teased him about it, in those days. Somehow, the teasing later seemed to stop. I wonder why?

Ed

#25 EdSutton, Jan 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2008
  6. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

I am not a Calvinist, or a Southern Baptist for that matter (Free Will Baptist), but I do respect Dr. Mohler, think he is a fine man of God, and enjoy listetning to his radio program. :) :)

7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

What! You mean there are issues besides this? Say it ain't true!

I need to get away from the BB more often ;)

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

And you don't have to be a Baptist at all (I'm SB) to admire this fine godly man. Well put, Nicholas25. :thumbs:

9. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

The only ting about this that makes me itch a little is the fact he currently serves as head of a SBC Seminary. One role the office plays is to appoint the trustees / board members for SBC institutions.

This presents an opportunity for conflict of interest. This sounds like we are putting the fox in charge of security at the hen house.

I am not saying that he would be a wrong choice, or that he would do anything wrong. I just see the potential problems that this could cause.

Chuck2336

10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Here's a scenario:

John MacArthur and Al Mohler are quite tight, as brethren contending for the truth. Maybe MacArthur might be influenced to become a Southern Baptist. I'll like that. :thumbs:

11. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Dr. Paige Patterson was President of Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary while he was President of the Southern Baptist Convention. I am not aware of any real problems as far as trustees (etc) were concerned.

12. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I think it's always encouraging to put things into proper perspective. :thumbs:

13. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I thought he was President at one time, but couldn't remember for sure.

Not someone I have a particularly high opinion of, but I was reminded at Brandon's graduation from SWBTS what a fine preacher of The Word Dr. Patterson is.

#33 mcdirector, Jan 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2008
  14. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I started at Southern two years after Dr. Mohler...and he was part of the reason i chose SBTS. I'm glad to see him running and i'm not surprised by it either. After i heard his seminary report at last year's convention i thought it sounded more like a political speech.
    With the 2009 meeting being in Louisville, i figured it was no time like the present for him to run.

15. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Dr Mohler is a fine man, and an intellectual giant. Were I to go to the convention this year I would vote against him for two reasons. One, I am not in favor of entitiy heads being president of the SBC and two, his church only gives 3% of its budget to the CP. As our entities are primary consumers of the CP dollar, to have an entitiy head attend a church with such a pitiful percentage going to the CP is a terrible example to the other SBC churches.

16. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

See my earlier post.

This is all that's necessary to even further divide the SBC. Southern Baptists used to be a powerful force for good in this country. Now more often than not they stand on they wrong side of many issues. BTW, every major Protestant denomination and the Catholics came out publically against the war in Iraq except one, the SBC.

17. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

In fact, I believe the trustees/board members of SBC entities are elected by the SBC at her annual meetings. The President may have the power to fill vacancies on an interim basis, up to the next meeting, but not to install these individuals, unilaterally, I do not think.

Secondly, what does the fact that one may serve as the head of an SBC Seminary have to do with anything? At least 6 Seminary (as well as some college) Presidents have ably served as SBC Presidents over the years, including 3 Presidents of Southern Seminary, for a total of at least 22 years, or about 1 out of every seven years, over the history of the SBC. Tack on the college Presidents, who have served, and you have about a 1 year out of 4 year ratio.

Personally, I consider this 'concern' to be more like "alarmism".

Ed

18. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

What she asked!!??

Ed

19. tenor

tenor New Member

I am opposed to any person being president or any other "honorary" office of an organization from which he recieves his salary. This can very easily lead to feelings of conflict of interests.

20. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

What you replied?!!!