1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Am I in sin?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No need to resort to name calling. You live in New Jersey which is very similar to my area of New York - Long Island. Alcoholism is rampant - that is the problem. I love a good beer - and many other drinks but we've chosen to not partake because of our ministry. Is drinking wrong overall? No. I drinking wrong for many? Absolutely. Is NOT drinking wrong? No - not when it's done for the proper reasons.

This man has a negative view of alcohol and it bothers him that he works there. I don't understand how one can work for a company that stands for something that makes him uncomfortable. But that's me.

Bottom line is that this gentleman is uncomfortable with working there - is not happy - and wondering if it's a sin. If he has these feelings - whether or not they are "right" - he needs to deal with that and for now, if he believes it is a sin, it's a sin for him.

2. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

If you say so.

You do recognize that those are two different things? A banquet of aged wine is NOT an antecedent for best of meats and the finest of wines for OBVIOUS reasons.

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

HA HA HA HA HA HA ha ha!!

The interpretation gymnastics you have to do to reach your conclusions is hilarious!

4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

That didn't have anything to do with my interpretation but everything to do with your READING.

You've essentially said that banquet of aged wines is the same thing as the best of meats and the finest wines. And again, for obvious reasons, that isn't so.

So unless you're going through God's word replacing every instance of aged wines with "the best of meats and the finest wines", your attempt at whatever you think you're trying to explain fails miserably. :laugh:

5. Born Again

Born Again Member

If drinking is such a controversial subject (as is obvious by reading any thread here regarding the subject) and causes us to belittle and laugh at one another as brothers and sisters in Christ on these threads, how more so foolish do we appear in the eyes of nonbelievers when we do as they do and act as they do? Shouldn't we be an example to separate ourselves from the world rather than being a part of the world that's just looking for an excuse to justify their behavior?

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Bible disagrees with you. The 'best' is well aged (Isaiah 25:6)

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You really need to do more studying before making these kind of posts. Here's Passover 101... http://christianity.about.com/od/biblefeastsandholidays/p/passoverfeast.htm

You clearly dont understand the process of fermentation, either. There is no yeast in alcoholic wine...but freshly squeezed grape juice is full of it. Try again...

#47 webdog, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2013
  8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are right. Since the world abuses food and sex we should never partake of either of those either.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Webdog is correct. A wine "on the lees" is not grape juice.

10. Born Again

Born Again Member

Which one/ones would you feel comfortable doing while witnessing and bringing someone to Christ?

11. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Um...this probably won't be appreciated, but....

It doesn't say "a banquet of aged wine" is an antecedent for "the best of meats and the finest of wines"; it says "a feast of rich food for all peoples, a banquet of aged wine" is an antecedent for "the best of meats and the finest of wines."

"The best of meats" describes "a feast of rich food"; so "the finest of wines" describes "a banquet of aged wine."

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Silly question. I feel comfortable doing all of them in their context. Having a burger and a beer is an ideal environment for sharing the Gospel, and I have.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No its not....Just because alcohol is available doesnt mean someone automatically turns into a drunk. People need to evaluate the situation & if they have a drinking problem, stop drinking. If you cant stop drinking, then go to an AA meeting.

You do know what the obvious question is, right!

Its not a sin & he knows it!

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Without some silly stigma being attached no doubt....good for you:thumbs:

15. Born Again

Born Again Member

Be careful not to get burger grease or beer spill on your Bible while witnessing to the lost.

16. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Nice of you to know his heart so well. If it is sin to him, then it is.

Enjoy your beer.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say that that would give it some character!:applause:

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    THANKS, I fully intend to.:laugh:

Besides, he should quit the whining, after all ....he has a job....allot of people are not so fortunate. Otherwise quit.

19. Born Again

Born Again Member

Yea, while the lost person you're witnessing to is observing you.

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea....because he will see a person who can actually control himself & still love the Lord.....because the two are not mutually exclusive. If WebDog has lead a person to Christ in a bar, what do you care? If he has had a beer with the guy, and still displayed the heart & mind of a Bible Believing Christian....then who are you to judge!:BangHead:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.