1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Am I wrong for thinking this? (About the Pope)

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by BigBossman, Jan 19, 2009.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

Vicar of Christ

–noun Roman Catholic Church. the pope, with reference to his claim to stand in the place of Jesus Christ and possess His authority in the church

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/vicar of christ

The pope stands in Jesus' place, and possess Jesus' authority.

Because his title actually makes this claim.

A man who thinks he stand in Christs stead and has Christ's authority, who is the leader of a false religion teaching 'another gospel' , leading people to hall, is not a good guy.

2. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I only meant that outwardly he seemed like a good guy. I realize that "good people" go to Hell. Falsifying by omitting or adding to The Bible is wrong. I didn't know that he has made claims of having Jesus' authority. I was merely under the impression that people have put him on a pedestal.

3. Beth

Beth New Member

yes

BossMan you are right...he is indeed on a pedestal.

It all comes down to the atonement. We can only be justified by one sacrifice, which was our Passover Lamb, Jesus....who died once for sins, and is now seated on the right hand of the Father.

If any church...be in Catholic, Mormon, etc., does not teach the same atonement for justification for sins, then that church does not have the same Good News as what is proclaimed in the Bible.

The Catholic church does not ultimately believe in total justification of the individual by that person having faith in the Lord's Sacrifice for him/her....I was just talking teaching my three children about this the other night. My 12 year old is reading through Romans, and asked me about justification. I told him that justification is being made right..think of it as being in a court of law and there are charges brought against you...say murder, for example. Jesus appears by your side and takes that charge of murder upon Himself and therefore suffers the penalty for that crime, the penalty being death. He was deemed guilty, YOU are justified...you are right, ok, not guilty before that judge.

Now, when you believe in justification by faith, you leave it at that...you are forgiven, of all sin.

IF you believe in a sacramental salvation, you will thank Jesus for justifying you AT THAT MOMENT IN TIME, but say, BUT I still have to take the eucharist every Sunday, go to confession regularly, have last rites before I die, go to purgatory to CONTINUE TO PAY FOR MY SINS...in other words, you are still saying to the judge, yeah, I know Jesus did this, died for my sins, BUT I STILL HAVE TO DO SOMETHING or I am NOT going to Heaven.. In other words, in this mindset, you are NOT justified because you believe that you have to do something, pay somehow for your sins by being a really good person, maybe giving up chocolate for lent....something which I remember my brother doing, lol! You think you have to participate in all the sacraments to be in good standing with God.

It CAN'T be both ways...you can't be both guilty and NOT guilty...you are either justified by faith alone, or you AREN'T.

Either Jesus' Sacrifice was sufficient for total justification or It wasn't!

In other words, you are either saved, or you are NOT saved.

Beth.

#23 Beth, Jan 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2009
  4. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The way they make it sound, it as if you can't go to Hell. They make seem as if there is only Heaven & Purgatory. But I know with God, there is no middle ground.

#24 BigBossman, Jan 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2009
  5. donnA

donnA Active Member

According to the RCC beleivefs, the fact he is pope means he thinks he has Jesus' authority, that he sits in Christs stead on the earth.

6. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Just a note on your latin. Vicar of the son of God

7. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think he believes he has Apostolic Authority. Kind of like the Orthodox believe they have Apostolic Authority.

8. grace56

grace56 New Member

I think you all should really check out the new youtube site

http://www.youtube.com/vatican

Get some correct information from the Pope himself not just some handed down prejudices. Are you afraid to look for yourself?

grace56

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

Nothing handed down here, I first read it in the dictionary in the back of a RCC bible years ago. And I've done much more research since then.

10. grace56

grace56 New Member

From Catholic.com

Pope
    Bishop of Rome, who, in virtue of his position as successor of St. Peter, is the chief pastor of the whole Church, the Vicar of Christ upon earth.

11. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yep apostolic succession. Thats what I said. Vicar or representative (like diplomat or ambasador) of Christ. and the scarf says the vicar of the Son of God. Ok so whats the point here? A true understanding of what the Catholics teach about the Papacy? I'm sure I don't know all but they believe they have apostolic succession. They believe the pope to be the successor of Peter who was given the "keys". They believe when he speaks with regard to Morals and teaching on the deposit of faith as he speaks ex-cathedra (from the chair - Peter's chair) that he does so infallibly but only with the consent of the Cardnals. Ok thats as far as I understand it.

12. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uhmm, only with the consent of the cardinals. That's interesting.

Kinda like God speaking with full authority, only unless He has the consent of Abraham,Jacob, Isaac, Joseph, Moses, Elijah, Enoch, and the Apostles, His words don' mean nuthin', eh ?

13. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Not exactly the same thing since the pope isn't God.